Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Edwardsville in Madison County, Illinois — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

The Madison County Poor Farm

 
 
The Madison County Poor Farm Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jason Voigt, December 25, 2020
1. The Madison County Poor Farm Marker
Inscription.  In 1844, Madison County began a program of caring for the poor. Ten years later the county purchased this property and the first permanent buildings were constructed during the Civil War. The purpose of the facility was to provide care for the able-bodied poor, the blind, the sick and the mentally ill, who helped work the farm. In addition, a cemetery on the property provided a final resting place for the indigent of Madison County. The Madison County facility was one of 102 poor farms built in 19th century Illinois.

Among the brick buildings added to the complex over the course of a half century were the superintendent’s house, a building for the insane, a hospital, a home for the blind, and a large residence hall with separate wards for men and women. The name was changed to the Madison County Home in 1912 when the supervisor reported that many of those in need refused to enter because of the stigma attached to the name. In 1971, the complex became the Madison County Shelter Care Home. The last buildings on this site were torn down in 2009 to make way for a public service building for the city of Edwardsville. The Poor Farm’s cemetery
The Madison County Poor Farm Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jason Voigt, December 25, 2020
2. The Madison County Poor Farm Marker
The City of Edwardsville's Public Safety building is in the background.
remains on the west side of the property.
 
Erected 2020 by The City of Edwardsville and the Illinois State Historical Society.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial SitesCharity & Public WorkScience & Medicine. In addition, it is included in the Illinois State Historical Society series list.
 
Location. 38° 48.502′ N, 89° 57.337′ W. Marker is in Edwardsville, Illinois, in Madison County. Marker is on West Schwartz Street west of South Main Street (Illinois Route 159), on the right when traveling east. Marker is on the grounds of the City of Edwardsville's Public Safety building. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 333 South Main Street, Edwardsville IL 62025, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Cleaon Etzkorn Bandstand (approx. 0.2 miles away); Benjamin Stephenson House (approx. 0.2 miles away); In Memory of Dr. Thomas R. Yates (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Madison County Centennial Monument (approx. ¼ mile away); In grateful memory of the early settlers (approx. ¼ mile away); Ninian Edwards (approx. ¼ mile away); Edwardsville (approx. ¼ mile away); Site of Abraham Lincoln's Speech (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Edwardsville.
 
More about this marker. The marker was dedicated on October 18, 2020, along with the nearby Pogue Store marker.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 25, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 25, 2020, by Jason Voigt of Glen Carbon, Illinois. This page has been viewed 74 times since then and 38 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on December 25, 2020, by Jason Voigt of Glen Carbon, Illinois.
Paid Advertisement
Mar. 3, 2021