Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Near Custer in Yellowstone County, Montana — The American West (Mountains)
 

Junction of Bighorn and Yellowstone Rivers

 
 
Junction of Bighorn and Yellowstone Rivers Marker image. Click for full size.
By Connor Olson, September 27, 2020
1. Junction of Bighorn and Yellowstone Rivers Marker
Inscription.  

The mouth of the Bighorn River as it enters the Yellowstone, 13 miles east of here, is one of the most significant areas in Montana history.

The Crow Indians knew the Yellowstone as the Elk River. French explorers called it the la Roche Jaune. French trader Francois Larocque named it the Great Horn River, while the Crow called it Lisaxpúatahcheeaashisee, the Large Bighorn Sheep River.

Captain William Clark of the Lewis and Clark Expedition, on his return trip from their journey to the Pacific Ocean, camped on the east bank of the Bighorn River on July 26, 1806.

The following year, in November 1807, an expedition led by Manuel Lisa, a St. Louis fur trader, arrived at the mouth of the Bighorn River. He built a fur trading post which he named Fort Remon in honor of his two-year-old son. This was the first building erected in what is now the State of Montana. From here Lisa sent John Colter to make contact with the Indians to induce them to come to his post and trade their furs for goods. On this journey Colter experienced the wonders of present-day Yellowstone National Park.

In 1876 during
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
the Sioux and Cheyenne Indian campaign of that year, General Terry and Colonel Gibbon marched up the Bighorn River to the site of Custer's defeat at the Battle of the Little Bighorn. They arrived two days after the battle. The steamer Far West, plied the waters of both rivers and brought the wounded from the battle back to Fort Abraham Lincoln, Dakota Territory.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ExplorationIndustry & CommerceNative AmericansWars, US Indian.
 
Location. 46° 3.797′ N, 107° 42.537′ W. Marker is near Custer, Montana, in Yellowstone County. Marker is on Interstate 94, on the right when traveling east. The marker is located at the Custer, Montana Rest Stop. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Custer MT 59024, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 4 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A different marker also named Junction of Bighorn and Yellowstone Rivers (approx. 3 miles away); The Great Highway of the Northwest: The Yellowstone Trail (approx. 3 miles away); Buffalo Country (approx. 3 miles away); Crossing the Yellowstone (approx. 8.8 miles away).
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 6, 2021. It was originally submitted on December 26, 2020, by Connor Olson of Lemmon, South Dakota. This page has been viewed 59 times since then and 58 times this year. Photo   1. submitted on December 26, 2020, by Connor Olson of Lemmon, South Dakota. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement
Mar. 7, 2021