Near Lemay in St. Louis County, Missouri — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Jefferson Barracks National Cemetery
Jefferson Barracks, established by the U.S. Army in 1826, was in continuous use until 1946. Early in the Civil War, both pro-Union and pro-Confederate militia occupied St. Louis. Union militia drilled at Jefferson Barracks. In May 1861 pro-Confederate forces were expelled from the city.
Throughout the war Jefferson Barracks served as a hospital. The army converted existing buildings and erected new ones to serve as medical facilities. By the end of 1862, more than 5,000 sick and wounded had been treated at Jefferson Barracks General Hospital. In excess of 18,000 Union soldiers passed through it by the time the war ended in 1865.
With the hospital came the need for a cemetery. The Jefferson Barracks post burial grounds had been in use since August 1827. By the time of the Civil War, more than 600 soldiers and civilians had been buried there. The national cemetery, established in 1866, was expanded beyond the post cemetery. By 1869, it contained more than 10,000 graves, the majority known. Among those interred were 1,106 Confederate prisoners
Two Civil War Medal of Honor recipients are buried here. Pvt. Martin Schubert, 26th New York Infantry, picked up the colors and carried them until he was wounded at the Battle of Fredericksburg, Virginia, December 13, 1862 (Section 4, Grave 12310).
Corp. Lorenzo D. Immell, 2nd U.S. Artillery, gathered abandoned cannon and continued to fire on Confederates at the Battle of Wilson's Creek, Missouri, August 10, 1861 (Section 4, Grave 12342).
Civil War Monuments
Sculptor John K. Daniels of St. Paul, Minnesota, designed the female figure holding a laurel wreath, a symbol of glory and victory. The monument was erected at the intersection of Longstreet and Monument drives. Dedicated on May 15, 1922, it honors 164 Minnesota soldiers buried here. It is one of five Minnesota monuments placed in the national cemeteries.
In the early twentieth century, Annie Wittenmyer Tent No. 3, Daughters of [Union] Veterans, erected a monument to the unknown Union dead interred at Jefferson Barracks.
Erected by U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial Sites • War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the National Cemeteries series list.
Location. 38° 29.906′ N, 90° 16.793′ W. Marker is near Lemay, Missouri, in St. Louis County. Marker is at the intersection of Monument Drive and Longstreet Drive, on the right when traveling south on Monument Drive. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1 Johnson Pl, Saint Louis MO 63125, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Minnesota Civil War Memorial (a few steps from this marker); Civil War Union Women Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Civil War Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); U.S. Army Air Forces Air Crash Victims May 13, 1945 (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Confederate Burials in the National Cemetery (about 500 feet away); To The Confederate Dead 1861 - 1865 (about 500 feet away); Victims of the Japanese Massacre (approx. 0.2 miles away); Michael Joseph Blassie (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lemay.
Credits. This page was last revised on December 29, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 29, 2020, by Jason Voigt of Glen Carbon, Illinois. This page has been viewed 40 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 29, 2020, by Jason Voigt of Glen Carbon, Illinois.