New York in New York County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
This ground was used as a cemetery by Trinity Parish during the years 1834-1898. It was made a public park by the City of New York in the year 1897-8. This monument stood in the cemetery and was removed to this spot in the year 1898.
Marble side 1:
This monument is erected by the members of Eagle Fire Engine Company No. 13 in connection with the friends of the deceased to commemorate the sad event connected with their death and the loss which they deplore
Marble side 2:
Here are interred the bodies of Eugene Underhill aged 20 years 7 months and 9 days and Frederick A. Ward aged 22 years 1 month and 16 days who lost their lives by the falling of a building while engaged in the discharge of their duty as fire men on the first day of duty MDCCCXXXIV
Topics. This historical marker memorial is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Parks & Recreational Areas.
Location. 40° 43.807′ N, 74° 0.374′ W. Marker is in New York, New York, in New York County. Marker is on Saint Lukes Place east Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: James J Walker Park, New York NY 10014, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Marianne Moore (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Carmine Street Mural (about 300 feet away); No. 48 Commerce Street (about 500 feet away); 38 Commerce Street (about 500 feet away); 81 Barrow Street (about 500 feet away); 36 Commerce Street (about 500 feet away); Edna St. Vincent Millay (about 600 feet away); James Vandenburgh’s Home (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New York.
More about this memorial. "This 1.67-acre Manhattan park, named for former Mayor James J. Walker, was previously the site of St. John’s Cemetery, a burial ground for Trinity Church between 1812 and 1895, when the New York City Department of Parks acquired the site. Originally known as St. John’s Park, its name was changed to Hudson Park by 1896. By the time construction began on the park the following year, few burials had been relocated, and nearly all of the 10,000 bodies and stones were left or buried in place. The only remaining visible evidence of the park’s history as a cemetery is a marble sarcophagus situated near the St. Luke’s Place entrance which was erected in 1834 for two fallen firemen."
Also see . . .
1. The Burying Ground Beneath the Ball Field -- James Walker Park. Daytonian in Manhattan entry (Submitted on January 4, 2021, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York.)
2. James J Walker Park Monuments - Firemen's Memorial. Official NYC Parks description (Submitted on January 4, 2021, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York.)
Credits. This page was last revised on January 4, 2021. It was originally submitted on January 4, 2021, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York. This page has been viewed 36 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on January 4, 2021, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York.