The Miamisburg Mound
This is the highest and largest of the many conical burial mounds in Ohio. Erected in prehistoric times by the so-called Mound Builders. It stands as an imposing memorial to those first Ohioans.
The mound is 70 feet in height; 877 feet in circumference at the base; covers approximately one and one- half acres; and is estimated to contain 54,000 cubic yards of earth.
The land included in this state monument was donated to the Ohio Archaeological and Historical Society by Charles Franklin Kettering of Dayton, Ohio.
This glacial boulder was moved from the farm upon which Mr. Kettering was born, near Loudenville, Ashland County, Ohio.
Erected 1935 by The Ohio State Archaeological and Historical Society, Columbus, Ohio.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Anthropology & Archaeology • Architecture • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Paleontology.
Location. 39° 37.631′ N, 84° 16.852′ W. Marker is in Miamisburg, Ohio, in Montgomery County. Marker
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named Miamisburg Mound (within shouting distance of this marker); Has This Site Ever Been Explored? (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Current Restoration Efforts (about 300 feet away); Who built the Mound and why did they build it? (about 300 feet away); Miamisburg Mound State Memorial (about 300 feet away); The Historical Era of Miamisburg Mound (about 300 feet away); Site of Mound Laboratory (1946- 2003) (approx. 0.3 miles away); Mound Laboratory (1946- 2010) (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Miamisburg.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 10, 2021. It was originally submitted on July 20, 2017, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. This page has been viewed 153 times since then and 15 times this year. Last updated on January 9, 2021, by TeamOHE of Wauseon, Ohio. Photos: 1. submitted on January 9, 2021, by TeamOHE of Wauseon, Ohio. 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on July 20, 2017, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.