Franklin in Williamson County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
Planning for Battle
— Hood's Campaign —
This small building (constructed in 1817 by Dr. Daniel McPhail) was the medical office of Dr. Daniel Cliffe, who lived nearby, in 1864. Cliffe, a former Confederate surgeon, had switched his allegiance to the Union early in the war. After dawn on November 30, 1864, Federal Gen. John M. Schofield arrived in Franklin and established his headquarters in Cliffe's house and office. Throughout the early and midmorning hours, courier and telegraphic activity was brisk here as Schofield directed
By 2 P.M., Schofield had transferred his headquarters to the Alpheus Truett home, just north of the Harpeth River about a mile away. Schofield did not intend to fight a battle at Franklin, but instead intended to delay the Confederates until the bridge spanning the Harpeth River was repaired, then cross them with his army after dark and march north. But at 4 P.M., Confederate Gen. John Bell Hood launched his attack.
At that time Schofield and Gen. David S. Stanley were riding from the Truett House toward downtown Franklin. A courier galloped up and told them that the Southern army was commencing a frontal assault. Stanley spurred his horse toward the front, and Schofield rode to Fort Granger. From there he watched Hood's army crash into the Federal works south of town.
Erected by Tennessee Civil War Trails.
Topics and series. This memorial is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Tennessee Civil War Trails series list.
Location. 35° 55.534′ N, 86° 52.071′ W. Marker is in Franklin, Tennessee, in Williamson County. Memorial is on Main Street. Touch for map. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. St. Philip Catholic Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Fifth Third Bank (within shouting distance of this marker); John H. Eaton (within shouting distance of this marker); Original St. Philip Catholic Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Harpeth Square / Harpeth Square and Historic Neighbors (within shouting distance of this marker); Historic Franklin Masonic Hall (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Masonic Temple (about 300 feet away); U.S. Model 1841 6-Pounder Field Guns/Franklin Public Square During The Battle (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Franklin.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 10, 2021. It was originally submitted on December 10, 2012, by Sandra Hughes Tidwell of Killen, Alabama, USA. This page has been viewed 708 times since then and 23 times this year. Last updated on January 9, 2021, by Bradley Owen of Morgantown, West Virginia. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 10, 2012, by Sandra Hughes Tidwell of Killen, Alabama, USA. 4. submitted on January 9, 2021, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.