Chattanooga in Hamilton County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
Site of Brainerd Mission to the Cherokee Indians
Established by the American Board of Commissioners for foreign missions in 1817. First called Chickamaugah, changed to Brainerd in 1818. Maintained with aid of the United States Government until the removal of the Indians in 1838. Here forty buildings were erected and hundreds of Indians were Christianized and educated.
Erected by Chickamauga Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution. 1924
Erected 1924 by Daughters of the American Revolution, Chickamauga Chapter.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Native Americans. In addition, it is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution series list.
Location. 35° 0.576′ N, 85° 12.784′ W. Marker is in Chattanooga, Tennessee, in Hamilton County. Marker is on Eastgate Loop, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 943 Eastgate Loop, Chattanooga TN 37411, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Brainerd Mission (within shouting distance of this marker); Civil War in Tennessee (approx. Roland Hayes (approx. 1.9 miles away); 84th Indiana Infantry (approx. 2.1 miles away in Georgia); Chickamauga Station (approx. 2.1 miles away); a different marker also named 84th Indiana Infantry (approx. 2.2 miles away in Georgia); Missionary Ridge (approx. 2.7 miles away); 52nd Ohio Infantry (approx. 2.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Chattanooga.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 21, 2021. It was originally submitted on January 18, 2021, by Darren Jefferson Clay of Duluth, Georgia. This page has been viewed 36 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 18, 2021, by Darren Jefferson Clay of Duluth, Georgia. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.