Buckhead in Atlanta in Fulton County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Ward’s Div. Deployed
From East to West were Wood’s, Coburn’s and Harrison’s brigades. Wood’s left joined Newton’s 4th A.C. div. on Peachtree Rd.; Harrison’s right rested at Tanyard Branch; Coburn’s at center.
South of the flat were two parallel ridges, separated by a ravine. Ward’s troops [US] advanced to the first ridge from which they met the attack by Hood’s forces [CS] from the S., topping the rise on the 2d ridge where Collier Rd. is located, & descending toward the ravine.
Erected 1955 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 060-32.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list. A significant historical date for this entry is July 20, 1900.
Location. 33° 48.897′ N, 84° 23.853′ W. Marker is in Atlanta, Georgia, in Fulton County. It is in Buckhead. Marker is Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Atlanta GA 30309, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Harrison’s Brigade (approx. 0.4 miles away); Gap in Federal Line (approx. 0.4 miles away); Collier's Mill (approx. 0.4 miles away); Scott's Brigade (approx. 0.4 miles away); Battle of Peach Tree Creek (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Federal Forces Engaged/The Confederate Forces Engaged (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Federal Advance (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Federal Advance, Cont./The Change of Command (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Atlanta.
Credits. This page was last revised on February 8, 2023. It was originally submitted on February 26, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 873 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on February 26, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. 2. submitted on May 11, 2022, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.