Atlanta in Fulton County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Geary’s Three Bridges
Ireland’s Brigade quickly filed across under fire and seized the first ridge S. of the cr. Candy’s and Jones’ followed Ireland’s and cast up an entrenched bridgehead for the night.
By dawn of the 20th, two other bridges were thrown across; roads to them were cut for wagon and artillery and Williams’ division crossed. These bridges were used after the war - their ancient remains visible as late as 1913.
Erected 1955 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 060-56.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list. A significant historical date for this entry is July 19, 1863.
Location. 33° 49.152′ N, 84° 24.482′ W. Marker is in Atlanta, Georgia, in Fulton County. Marker is at the intersection of Wesley Drive NW Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Atlanta GA 30309, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Geary’s Div. to Peachtree Creek (approx. 0.3 miles away); Williams' Div. Deployed (approx. 0.4 miles away); O’Neal’s Brigade at the Ravine (approx. half a mile away); Rt. Of 20th A.C. Line (approx. half a mile away); Howell's Mills (approx. half a mile away); Reynold’s Brigade (approx. half a mile away); Federal Crossings (approx. half a mile away); Geary’s Division (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Atlanta.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on February 27, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 887 times since then and 2 times this year. Photo 1. submitted on February 27, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.