Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Florence in Stewart County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Florence

 
 
Florence Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, November 14, 2004
1. Florence Marker
Photographed at its original location on Florence State Park Marina Road.
Inscription.  Located on this site was the frontier town of Florence, which was incorporated on December 14, 1837 after the Creek Indians burned the nearby town of Roanoke in 1836. Florence was originally named Liverpool after the English port city. For many years the town flourished and could boast of a covered bridge linking it to Alabama, a newspaper, bank and hotel. Florence began to decline after the flood of 1846 washed away the bridge and the town was later bypassed by the railroad. The town site is now occupied by a few scattered homes, farmland and Florence Marina State Park which takes its name from the former community.
 
Erected 1992 by Historic Chattachooche Commission, Georgia Department of Natural Resources and Stewart County.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Native AmericansWars, US Indian.
 
Location. 32° 5.299′ N, 85° 2.5′ W. Marker is in Florence, Georgia, in Stewart County. Marker can be reached from Florence State Park Marina Road west of Georgia Route 39, on the right
Florence Marker image. Click for full size.
By James L.Whitman, January 1, 1980
2. Florence Marker
when traveling north. Marker is in front of the interpretive center. you have to walk up the walkway,there is handicapped parking in the back of the interpretive center off hwy 39. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Omaha GA 31821, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Battle of Shepherd’s Plantation (approx. 1.1 miles away); Fort Jones (approx. 2 miles away); Fort McCreary – 1836 (approx. 4.1 miles away); Indian Trail (approx. 5.4 miles away); Providence United Methodist Church (approx. 7.7 miles away); Rev. David Walker Lowe (approx. 8.1 miles away); Glennville (approx. 8.6 miles away in Alabama); Spanish Fort, 1689-1691 (approx. 9.4 miles away in Alabama).
 
More about this marker. It was originally located near 32° 5.29′ N, 85° 2.551′ W., on Florence State Park Marina Road 0.1 miles west of Georgia Route 39, on the right when traveling west. It was likely moved to this location around 2011.
 
Florence Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, August 13, 2011
3. Florence Marker
The pole on which the marker formerly stood. It was subsequently moved to this location.
Current location of the Florence Marker image. Click for full size.
By James L.Whitman, January 1, 1980
4. Current location of the Florence Marker
The marker is currently (January 2021) at the location of this sign.
Interpretive Center at the Florence Marina State Park image. Click for full size.
By James L.Whitman, January 1, 1980
5. Interpretive Center at the Florence Marina State Park
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 28, 2021. It was originally submitted on August 6, 2008, by James L.Whitman of Eufaula, Alabama. This page has been viewed 1,334 times since then and 10 times this year. Last updated on January 20, 2021, by James L.Whitman of Eufaula, Alabama. Photos:   1. submitted on August 6, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.   2. submitted on January 5, 2021, by James L.Whitman of Eufaula, Alabama.   3. submitted on August 20, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.   4, 5. submitted on January 5, 2021, by James L.Whitman of Eufaula, Alabama. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement
Feb. 26, 2021