Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Holland in Ottawa County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Ottawa Beach

 
 
Ottawa Beach Marker image. Click for full size.
By TeamOHE, June 14, 2019
1. Ottawa Beach Marker
Side 1
Inscription.  Ottawa Beach is a well - preserved example of the summer cottage resorts that developed along the Lake Michigan shore during the late nineteenth century. In 1885 the West Michigan Park Association purchased eighty acres of land here. In May 1886, Ottawa County Surveyor Albert Peck platted the resort with 150 cottage lots, streets, and a lot for a hotel. He designated the majority of the land as park area owned in common by cottagers, with each residential lot abutting one of the parks. The Hotel Ottawa, built immediately for the Chicago and West Michigan Railroad (later the Pere Marquette Railway), was one of the largest resort hotels on the eastern shore of Lake Michigan. Some guests arrived by train: many by steamship from Chicago. The hotel burned in 1923.

Construction of cottages in the Ottawa Beach resort began in June 1886. Most cottage owners, shareholders in the West Michigan Park Association, hailed from Grand Rapids. Among the earliest cottagers were prominent business people. furniture makers, railroad officers and politicians. For more than a century, the same families returned each summer, often

Ottawa Beach Marker image. Click for full size.
By TeamOHE, June 14, 2019
2. Ottawa Beach Marker
Side 2
occupying the same houses for decades. From the 1930s through the mid 1960s future U.S. President Gerald Ford spent many summer vacations at Ottawa Beach, first at his parents' cottage and then at one he owned with his brothers. In 2001, Ford recalled: "I loved Ottawa Beach--both cottages. There is no finer sand beach worldwide.” Ottawa Beach is listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
 
Erected 2002 by Michigan Historical Commission - Michigan Historical Center. (Marker Number L2108.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Parks & Recreational AreasWaterways & Vessels. In addition, it is included in the Michigan Historical Commission series list.
 
Location. 42° 46.524′ N, 86° 12.073′ W. Marker is in Holland, Michigan, in Ottawa County. Marker is at the intersection of Ottawa Beach Road and Auburn Avenue, on the right when traveling south on Ottawa Beach Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Holland MI 49424, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Pump House (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Holland Harbor Lighthouse / Holland Harbor (approx. 0.6 miles away); Holland Harbor / Holland Harbor Lighthouse (approx. 0.6 miles away);
Ottawa Beach image. Click for full size.
By TeamOHE, June 14, 2019
3. Ottawa Beach
Graafschap Christian Reformed Church (approx. 3.8 miles away); The First Pioneers of Graafschap (approx. 3.8 miles away); Laketown Township Hall (approx. 4 miles away); The Cappon House / Isaac Cappon (approx. 4.4 miles away); West Michigan Furniture Company Building (approx. 4.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Holland.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 23, 2021. It was originally submitted on January 22, 2021, by TeamOHE of Wauseon, Ohio. This page has been viewed 49 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on January 22, 2021, by TeamOHE of Wauseon, Ohio. • Mark Hilton was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement
Mar. 7, 2021