Brenham in Washington County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Louis Lehmann House
This pioneer Berlin community home dates from the 1870s. German native Louis Lehmann, Sr. built the house for his wife Friederike (Clausmeier) and their children. Louis was a leader in Ebenezer Lutheran Church, swerved in the Confederate Army and was elected President of the local agricultural association in 1874. Longleaf pine and cedar form the framing and siding of the house, with tree trunks beneath the house axe-grooved for foundation cross beams. Early additions attached rooms and porches to the original center passage layout. The house remained in the Lehmann family until 1945.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 2008
Erected 2008 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 14297.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Agriculture • Churches & Religion • War, US Civil.
Location. 30° 8.627′ N, 96° 27.841′ W. Marker is in Brenham, Texas, in Washington County. Marker is on South Berlin Road (County Highway 30) ¼ mile north of Farm Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2470 South Berlin Road, Brenham TX 77833, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Eben-Ezer Evangelical Lutheran Church (approx. 1.9 miles away); Mills Roberson “Burney” Parker (approx. 3.4 miles away); George Washington Petty (approx. 3.4 miles away); Moses Baine (approx. 3.4 miles away); Prairie Lea Cemetery (approx. 3½ miles away); Bethlehem Cemetery (approx. 3.6 miles away); Hogan Funeral Home (approx. 3.6 miles away); Mt. Zion United Methodist Church (approx. 3.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Brenham.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 23, 2021. It was originally submitted on January 23, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 39 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 23, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.