Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Williamsburg in James City County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Kingsmill

 
 
Kingsmill Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Tim Fillmon, April 14, 2004
1. Kingsmill Marker
Inscription.  Kingsmill Plantation, the home of Col. Lewis Burwell, was built in the mid-1730s and consisted of a mansion, outbuildings, garden, and 1,400 acres. The house burned in 1843. Only the office and the kitchen still stand; they are among the earliest brick dependencies in Virginia. Burwell, the naval officer (colonial customs inspector) for the upper James River, built his inspection station here at Burwell's Landing, which included a tavern, storehouse, warehouse, and ferry house. In Nov. 1775, American riflemen skirmished nearby with British naval vessels; later, the Americans built two earthen forts here that the British captured in 1781.
 
Erected 1998 by Department of Historic Resources. (Marker Number W-47.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ArchitectureRoads & VehiclesWar, US Revolutionary. In addition, it is included in the Virginia Department of Historic Resources (DHR) series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1735.
 
Location. 37° 15.185′ N, 76° 39.88′ W. Marker is
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
near Williamsburg, Virginia, in James City County. Marker is at the intersection of Pocahontas Trail (U.S. 60) and Jacobs Road, on the right when traveling south on Pocahontas Trail. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 7401 Pocahontas Trail, Williamsburg VA 23185, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within one mile of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Whitaker's House (approx. 0.4 miles away); Battle of Williamsburg (approx. 0.7 miles away); Magruder’s Defenses (approx. ¾ mile away); Confederate Soldiers and Sailors Monument (approx. ¾ mile away); Fort Magruder (approx. ¾ mile away); a different marker also named Fort Magruder (approx. ¾ mile away); Vineyard Tract (approx. 0.9 miles away); a different marker also named Battle of Williamsburg (approx. one mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Williamsburg.
 
Also see . . .  Kingsmill Plantation. (Submitted on January 23, 2021, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida.)
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 1, 2021. It was originally submitted on January 23, 2021, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 249 times since then and 16 times this year. Photo   1. submitted on January 23, 2021, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide view photo of the marker and the surrounding area in context. • Can you help?

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=165422

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 14, 2024