Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Franklin in Williamson County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
 

Ash Grove

 
 
Ash Grove Marker image. Click for full size.
By Darren Jefferson Clay, January 22, 2021
1. Ash Grove Marker
Inscription.  Ash Grove community in Sawyer's Bend of the Harpeth River was known for its Union bridge, built jointly by Davidson and Williamson Counties. Burned during the Civil War, the bridge was replaced in 1881. Before being washed away in the flood of 1948, it was the last covered bridge on the Harpeth. The Armstrong, Cator Davis, Hill, Hulme, Moran, Morris, Pearre, Phipps, Sawyer, Stockett, and Vaughan families were prominent here. Ash Grove Cumberland Presbyterian Church was built in 1893 on land donated by Dempsey R. Sawyer. With its closing in 1967, and the earlier closing of the public school in 1946, the community lost most of its identity.
 
Erected 1998 by Williamson County Historical Marker.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Bridges & ViaductsSettlements & SettlersWar, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Covered Bridges 🌉 series list.
 
Location. 36° 1.662′ N, 86° 55.596′ W. Marker is in Franklin, Tennessee, in Williamson County
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
. Marker is on Old Natchez Trace just south of Sneed Road West, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2541 Old Natchez Trace, Franklin TN 37069, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Motheral-Ring Family of Locust Guard (approx. 1˝ miles away); Motheral/Moran House (approx. 1.8 miles away); Samuel Claybrook Locke (approx. 2.3 miles away); Grassland Community (approx. 2.4 miles away); Old Harding Pike (approx. 2.4 miles away); Edwin Warner Park (approx. 2.4 miles away); Loveless Cafe and Motel (approx. 2.6 miles away); Historic Bellevue (approx. 2.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Franklin.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 26, 2021. It was originally submitted on January 26, 2021, by Darren Jefferson Clay of Duluth, Georgia. This page has been viewed 51 times since then. Photo   1. submitted on January 26, 2021, by Darren Jefferson Clay of Duluth, Georgia. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide shot of the marker in context. • Historical photos of the church building and the covered bridge. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement
Feb. 28, 2021