Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Franklin in Williamson County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
 

Fort Granger

 
 
Fort Granger Marker image. Click for full size.
May 11, 2020
1. Fort Granger Marker
Inscription.  In the spring of 1863, Federal forces commanded by Maj. Gen. Gordon Granger occupied Franklin. Construction of major fortifications began under the direction of Capt. W. E. Merrill, U.S. Corps of Engineers, the largest of them being placed on Figuers Bluff, .2 of a mile north on the Harpeth River. Fort Granger commanded the southern and northern approaches to Franklin and was adjacent to the critically important Tenn. & Ala. Railroad bridge. The artillery within the fort saw action twice in 1863 against Confederate cavalry forces. During the Battle of Franklin. Nov. 30, 1864 the site served as Hqtrs. of Maj. Gen. John M. Schofield (commander of U.S. forces) and as an active artillery position.
 
Erected 1989 by Williamson County Historical Society.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil.
 
Location. 35° 55.32′ N, 86° 51.743′ W. Marker is in Franklin, Tennessee, in Williamson County. Marker can be reached from Murfreesboro Road. The marker is in Pinkerton Park, near the foot bridge.
Fort Granger Marker image. Click for full size.
By Darren Jefferson Clay, January 22, 2021
2. Fort Granger Marker
Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 405 Murfreesboro Road, Franklin TN 37064, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named Fort Granger (here, next to this marker); Ewingville / Alexander Ewing (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Franklin Railroad Depot (about 700 feet away); Railroad Section Foreman's House / Pioneers' Corner (approx. 0.2 miles away); a different marker also named Fort Granger (approx. ¼ mile away); a different marker also named Fort Granger (approx. ¼ mile away); a different marker also named Fort Granger (approx. ¼ mile away); a different marker also named Fort Granger (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Franklin.
 
Fort Granger image. Click for full size.
By Michael Dover, September 26, 2010
3. Fort Granger
Sketch of Fort Granger image. Click for full size.
By Michael Dover, September 26, 2010
4. Sketch of Fort Granger
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 27, 2021. It was originally submitted on February 6, 2011, by Michael Dover of Ellerslie, Georgia. This page has been viewed 720 times since then and 7 times this year. Last updated on January 26, 2021, by Darren Jefferson Clay of Duluth, Georgia. Photos:   1. submitted on May 11, 2020.   2. submitted on January 26, 2021, by Darren Jefferson Clay of Duluth, Georgia.   3, 4. submitted on February 6, 2011, by Michael Dover of Ellerslie, Georgia. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement
Mar. 2, 2021