Portsmouth in Scioto County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Scioto County, Experience Our Heritage
The community of Alexandria was founded approximately two miles west of today’s floodwall murals, in an area known as Carey’s Run. It was settled in the late 1700’s by pioneers who came down the Ohio River in flat boats. The original settlers had hopes the village would become a very influential city, seeing potential in economic opportunities. The town became the county seat of Scioto County in 1803 after Ohio became a state. Because of frequent, devastating floods in the area, the village was unable to survive and by 1814 most inhabitants had moved to higher ground in Portsmouth.
Court Street Gateway
Shown in the mural is a cyclist from an annual event held in Portsmouth. The Tour of the Scioto River Valley (TOSRV) is held in Tracy Park on Mother’s Day Weekend. The event includes a bicycle ride that originates in Columbus, Ohio where cyclists take the 86 mile ride to Portsmouth and head back to Columbus the following morning. For more information about TOSRV, go to www.tosvr.org
This mural is temporary, as river front development plans call for this section of the wall to be removed.
Alexandria Flood/Stone House
The only house remaining from the Alexandria era is the Phillip Moore, Jr. Stone House, shown in the last panel during a raging storm. The original deed to the property states it was located on an outlot of Alexandria. It stands today on Route 239 in West Portsmouth, and has been restored to its original appearance. The Stone House is known as “The Cradle of Methodism” because the frontier “circuit riders” formulated plans for the church’s future while gathering around the home’s massive hearth. The house is furnished with period pieces and is available for touring by appointment only. Contact the Visitors Bureau at 740-353-1116 for further information.
Platting of Portsmouth, 1803
The City of Portsmouth, Ohio was not officially founded until 1815, but the original purchase of land and the platting of the city by Henry Massie occurred in 1803. Henry laid out 258 lots, which were sold for $50 each, while the land outside the plat sold for $10 an acre. The mural represents a free-hand sketch of Henry Massie at a surveyor’s desk drawing the original plat of Portsmouth. Many of the original streets carry the same names today. In December of 1814, the Ohio State Legislature passed a statue
Erected by Portsmouth Area Convention & Visitors Bureau.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Man-Made Features • Settlements & Settlers • Waterways & Vessels. In addition, it is included in the Ohio, Scioto County, Experience Our Heritage series list.
Location. This marker has been replaced by another marker nearby. It was located near 38° 43.844′ N, 83° 0.025′ W. Marker was in Portsmouth, Ohio, in Scioto County. Marker was on Front Street east of Court Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker was at or near this postal address: 613 Front St, Portsmouth OH 45662, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this location. Alexandria / Alexandria Flood / Stone House / Court Street Gateway (here, next to this marker); Introduction / The Mound Builders / Early Shawnee Village, 1730 / Celeron de Blainville, 1749 (here, next to this marker); Platting of Portsmouth, 1803 / The 1810 House / The 1812 Era / Flood Gate House / Early Boneyfiddle (within shouting distance of this marker); Stagecoach / Hanging Rock Region / Ohio and Erie Canal / Early Industries (about 400 Portsmouth and the Ohio River (about 500 feet away); First Presbyterian Church (about 600 feet away); Tenth Street Station / Market Square / Portsmouth 1903 (about 700 feet away); 1937 Ohio River Flood Mark on Bigg's House (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Portsmouth.
Also see . . . Portsmouth, Ohio Murals. (Submitted on September 11, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Credits. This page was last revised on February 5, 2021. It was originally submitted on September 11, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 400 times since then and 5 times this year. Last updated on January 27, 2021, by TeamOHE of Wauseon, Ohio. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13. submitted on September 11, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.