Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Pharr in Hidalgo County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Buell School

 
 
Buell School Marker image. Click for full size.
By James Hulse, January 27, 2021
1. Buell School Marker
Inscription.  

Constructed in 1927-28 to serve Mexican-American children in the Pharr-San Juan school district, this school replaced an earlier facility at this site. The new school was named in honor of educator Helen W. Buell (1861-1949), principal of the Pharr Mexican Ward School from 1924 to 1932. Designed by noted San Antonio architect Harvey Smith, the building's entry features modest Classical Revival detailing in its roof line scrollwork and bas-relief medallion over the entry.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1990
 
Erected 1990 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 558.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: EducationHispanic AmericansWomen.
 
Location. 26° 11.876′ N, 98° 10.874′ W. Marker is in Pharr, Texas, in Hidalgo County. Marker is at the intersection of East Juarez Avenue and North Birch Street, on the right when traveling east on East Juarez Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: East Juarez Avenue, Pharr TX 78577, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this
Doorway of Buell School with relief work over the entry image. Click for full size.
By James Hulse, January 27, 2021
2. Doorway of Buell School with relief work over the entry
marker, measured as the crow flies. Old Pharr City Hall (approx. 0.3 miles away); Historic Pharr (approx. 0.3 miles away); City of Pharr (approx. 0.3 miles away); Kiwanis Club of Pharr (approx. 0.4 miles away); First Pharr School (approx. 0.4 miles away); Pharr Volunteer Fire Department (approx. 0.4 miles away); Guadalupe Cemetery (approx. half a mile away); Paris Gum Factory (approx. 2.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Pharr.
 
Also see . . .  Pharr Texas.
In 1915 the town's population was estimated at 600, and by that year schools had opened, with Mexican students attending classes at the six-grade East Juárez school. When the site for the school was moved, it became known as Pharr Grammar School for Mexican Children. Separate facilities for junior and senior high school students were not provided because Mexican children were not expected to get beyond grammar school. Source: The Handbook of Texas
(Submitted on January 30, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.) 
 
The view of the Buell School and Marker from the road image. Click for full size.
By James Hulse, January 27, 2021
3. The view of the Buell School and Marker from the road
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 31, 2021. It was originally submitted on January 30, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 28 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on January 30, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement
Feb. 25, 2021