Boiling Spring Academy
The City of Brentwood, the Brentwood Historic Commission and the community raised funds for its preservation and restoration. The project included replacing the roof, masonry repairs, restoring windows and doors, and resetting stone foundation and exterior steps.
Boiling Spring Academy, constructed in 1832, was built by wealthy land owners for the education of their sons and for tuition paying male students from other places. Following the Civil War, the private school ceased operations and by January of 1887 was a public school. Around 1900, the building operated simultaneously as a church and school. The church moved the entrance to the gable end facing the road, substituting a window for the original door that faced the mounds.
While repairing the foor, prehistoric and historic Middle Tennessee State University archaeolegy professor coordinated the excavation of these artifacts and documented the findings. The building was later abandoned and became part of the Primm farm to be used as a storage barn for feed, hay and tobacco. In March 2003, Charlie M. Primm, Edgar W. Primm and Dorothy Gasser Primm donated
Erected by City of Brentwood; signage donated by Brett and Megan Derrington.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Agriculture • Anthropology & Archaeology • Churches & Religion • Education.
Location. 35° 58.068′ N, 86° 46.621′ W. Marker is in Brentwood, Tennessee, in Williamson County. Marker can be reached from Moores Lane (Tennessee Route 441) 0.1 miles north of Montclair Boulevard. The marker is next to the sidewalk within the Primm Historic Park. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Brentwood TN 37027, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Boiling Spring Site (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Forge Seat (approx. 0.6 miles away); Andrew Crockett 1745-1821 (approx. 0.6 miles away); Cool Springs House (approx. one mile away); Knox-Crockett House (approx. 1.2 miles away); Alexander Smith House Twenty-Four Trees (approx. 1.3 miles away); Spring House (approx. 1˝ miles away); Cistern and Root Cellar (approx. 1˝ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Brentwood.
Credits. This page was last revised on February 4, 2021. It was originally submitted on January 31, 2021, by Darren Jefferson Clay of Duluth, Georgia. This page has been viewed 47 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on January 31, 2021, by Darren Jefferson Clay of Duluth, Georgia. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.