The Historical Era of Miamisburg Mound
Miamisburg Mound State Memorial
The site became a park in 1920 when Charles F. Kettering of Dayton purchased it from the heirs of John Treon. Mr. Kettering gave the land with its mound to the Ohio Historical Society in 1929. During the New Deal of the 1930's, many Ohio Historical Society Sites were made more inviting to visitors through the work of the Federal Recovery Administration and the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) who built improvements that made visiting them easier and more attractive. The CCC gathered unemployed men put them to work. One type of structure CCC workers often built at OHS sites were picnic shelters including
Miamisburg Mound continues to be one of the last visible remnants of the Adena Culture in the Miami
Valley. The years have created changes at the mound. Gone is the path which once wound around to the
top. Today, one hundred and sixteen stone steps have been added that lead to the top of the mound.
Protective fencing has been placed too.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Anthropology & Archaeology • Native Americans • Parks & Recreational Areas.
Location. 39° 37.65′ N, 84° 16.8′ W. Marker is in Miamisburg, Ohio, in Montgomery County. Marker is on Mound Road, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Miamisburg OH 45342, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Has This Site Ever Been Explored? (here, next to this marker); Current Restoration Efforts (here, next to this marker);
Credits. This page was last revised on February 3, 2021. It was originally submitted on February 1, 2021, by TeamOHE of Wauseon, Ohio. This page has been viewed 40 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on February 1, 2021, by TeamOHE of Wauseon, Ohio. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.