La Feria in Cameron County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Town of La Feria
Site is on land surveyed 1777 for Spain's grants to Don Juan Hinojosa and José Marí Ballí, ancestors of priest for whom Padre Island was named. Rancho raised cattle, sheep, goats. By 1790's it had a fairground (Hence name, La Feria) for Fiestas, horse racing, and other sports. After Mexican War (1846-48), Ballí heirs had title confirmed by Texas. In 1850, Nathaniel White (d. 1901), cattleman and reputed smuggler, opened Anglo ranching here. In 1906, townsite of La Feria was platted under original name. It is now a trade center for a thriving agricultural area.
Erected 1971 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 2993.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Agriculture • Hispanic Americans • Industry & Commerce • Sports.
Location. 26° 9.555′ N, 97° 49.363′ W. Marker is in La Feria, Texas, in Cameron County. Marker is on Business U.S. 83 0.1 miles east of North Main Street (Farm to Market Road 506), on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: La Feria TX 78559, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Site of First Bank in La Feria (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); First Baptist Church of La Feria (approx. ¼ mile away); La Feria Cemetery (approx. 1.1 miles away); Solis Cemetery (approx. 1.3 miles away); Camp Mercedes (approx. 5½ miles away); Ebony Grove Cemetery (approx. 5.6 miles away); The American Rio Grande Land and Irrigation System (approx. 5.6 miles away); Dr. Héctor P. García (approx. 5.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in La Feria.
Regarding Town of La Feria. Feria is Spanish for "fair."
Also see . . . La Feria, Texas.
A railroad stop named Bixby was established a mile from the town when the St. Louis, Brownsville and Mexico Railway was built through the area in 1911. In July 1912 the founding fathers of La Feria stole the Bixby depot and hauled it to the new townsite. By 1915 La Feria had a population of 200, a bank, two churches, and a weekly newspaper, the La Feria Leader. In 1925 estimates of the population ranged from 236 to 825. Source: The Handbook of Texas(Submitted on February 5, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on February 5, 2021. It was originally submitted on February 4, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 40 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on February 5, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.