Discoll in Nueces County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Site of Santa Petronila Ranch
Appointed in 1764 by the governor of the Spanish colony of Nuevo Santander, Captain Blas Maria de la Garza Falcon (1712-1767) established an outpost and way station (8 miles east), the first in present-day Nueces County. He was commissioned to explore the coast and establish a mission for Christianizing the Indians. By 1766 he had moved his family, friends and herds of livestock to what was called Rancho de Don Blas or Santa Petronila Ranch. Until 1836 many colonists came from the Rio Grande area.
The ranch served as headquarters for expeditions including those led by Falcon and his son Alferez Don Joseph Antonio de la Garza who explored the islands along the Gulf Coast. Falcon probably named Santa Gertrudis Creek after his only daughter, Gertrudis de la Garza. He played an important role in settling towns along the Rio Grande and Nueces River and Padre, Mustang and St. Joseph's Islands. Soldiers at the garrison patrolled the region against the fierce Karankawa Indians and foreign invasion. Many colonists returned to the Rio Grande settlements because of Indian raids and the Texas War for Independence (1836). After the War they
Erected 1978 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 6335.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Exploration • Hispanic Americans • Native Americans.
Location. 27° 40.594′ N, 97° 44.827′ W. Marker is in Discoll, Texas, in Nueces County. Marker is on U.S. 77 0.1 miles south of Daisy Lane, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Driscoll TX 78351, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. St. Paul Lutheran Church and School (approx. 7 miles away); St. John Lutheran Church (approx. 7.1 miles away); Bishop (approx. 7.1 miles away); First Baptist Church of Bishop (approx. 7.2 miles away); Restland Memory Park (approx. 7.2 miles away); First United Methodist Church of Bishop (approx. 7.2 miles away); George H. Paul Building Site (approx. 9.3 miles away); Robstown Record (approx. 9.4 miles away).
Also see . . .
1. Santa Petronila Ranch.
Santa Petronila was the first Spanish settlement in what is now Nueces County, Texas. It was established in 1762 by Capt. Blás María de la Garza Falcón, founder of Camargo, Nuevo(Submitted on February 7, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.)
2. Garza Falcón, Blas María de la (1712–1767).
After two unsuccessful attempts to settle and colonize land near the Nueces River, Escandón gave the assignment to Garza Falcón. By 1766 Garza Falcón had established a ranching outpost named Santa Petronila five leagues from the Nueces River in what is now Nueces County, Texas. He took his family and employees there and started a ranching enterprise that served as a camp for the Spanish soldiers from Presidio Nuestra Señora de Loreto who explored the vicinity while patrolling in 1767. The ranch, eight miles east of the Nueces River, served as an outpost and way station. Source: The Handbook of Texas(Submitted on February 7, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on February 7, 2021. It was originally submitted on February 7, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 36 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on February 7, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.