St. George's Parish in Town of St. George, St Georges Parish, Bermuda
Pilot Darrell's House
Erected by United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Colonial Era • Waterways & Vessels.
Location. 32° 22.908′ N, 64° 40.72′ W. Marker is in St. George's Parish, St Georges Parish, in Town of St. George. Marker is on Aunt Peggy's Lane. This marker is on a back street Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 5 Aunt Peggy's Lane, St George's Parish, St Georges Parish, Bermuda. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 16 kilometers of this marker, measured as the crow flies. John Till (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line in St George's Parish); First Government House (about 150 meters away in St George's Parish); Midshipman Richard Sutherland Dale (about 180 meters away in St George's Parish); American Prisoners of the War of 1812 who died in Bermuda (about 180 meters away in St George's Parish); Settlement of Bermuda (about 240 meters away in St George's Parish); Thomas Moore (about 240 meters away in St George's Parish); The Broad Arrow (approx. 15.7 kilometers away in Sandys Parish); Victualling Yard (approx. 15.8 kilometers away in Dockyards).
More about this marker. A much older, engraved marker is beside this one (shown in photo) on a wall in front of the house.
Regarding Pilot Darrell's House. Pilot James ('Jemmy') Darrell (1749 - 1815) was one of the most respected black pilots in Bermuda. In 1789 he was one of three pilots chosen for the work that led to the discovery of the Narrows Channel and Murray's Anchorage in Bermuda.
Additional keywords. Bermuda, African-Bermudians,
Credits. This page was last revised on February 9, 2021. It was originally submitted on February 7, 2021, by Judith Elizabeth Pearson of Burke, Virginia. This page has been viewed 71 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on February 7, 2021, by Judith Elizabeth Pearson of Burke, Virginia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.