Hesperia in San Bernardino County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Las Flores Ranch / Mojave Trail
[This is a four sided monument with four different markers:]
At or near this place was once located a Vanyume Indian village called Guapiabit, where, in 1808, the Franciscan Fray Zalvidea baptised two old men and three aged women.
The devoted father, soon to assume the administration of the Mission San Gabriel, had traveled from Santa Barbara as official diarist of an expedition sent out in quest of suitable sites for inland missions.
Until 1924, this fenced lane was used as a part of the county road down Summit Valley from Cajon Pass.
From here, a branch road once led across the West Fork, just below the present bridge, and followed up the stream to connect with old lumber roads in the mountains.
The ancient Indian trail from the Colorado River to the coast led up the Mojave River into the mountains and climbed Sawpit Canyon to the summit of the range.
The Piute Indians, using this trail, left a pathway which guided explorer, priest and pioneer across the desert waste and over the mountain barrier.
When the Mormons came, in 1851, immigrant wagons had already worn a well marked road through Cajon Pass. Thereafter, the old Mojave Trail was little used.
Erected 1969 by Billy Holcomb Chapter No. 1069, E Clampus Vitus. (Marker Number 1.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Agriculture • Exploration • Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the E Clampus Vitus, and the Mojave Road (Old Government Road) series lists.
Location. 34° 18.676′ N, 117° 19.407′ W. Marker is in Hesperia, California, in San Bernardino County. Marker can be reached from California Route 173 2 miles east of California Route 138. The marker is located on the Las Flores Ranch, which is private Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Hesperia CA 92345, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Las Flores Ranch Barn (within shouting distance of this marker); Garces-Smith Monument (approx. 4.9 miles away); Atongai Indian Village (approx. 5.1 miles away); Hesperia’s Original Water Source (approx. 5.1 miles away); Mormon Lumber Road (approx. 5.6 miles away); Elliot Ranch (approx. 5.7 miles away); Summit Train Station (approx. 5.7 miles away); Mojave Indian Trail / Hesperia Lakes (approx. 6˝ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hesperia.
More about this marker. The placement of the first plaque of the Billy Holcomb Chapter was under the sponsorship of E Clampus Vitus, Platrix Chapter No. 2. It was mounted on two 4" X 4" redwood posts. In about 1972 when clearing and construction for Lake Silverwood was beginning, the ranch property owners gathered up the plaque and three other private plaques nearby [(organizations not known)] and had them engraved into granite slabs. They then built the still existing pyramid-shaped monument and mounted the granite slabs onto it.
SOURCE: Billy Holcomb Chapter 1069 35th Anniversary Plaque Book by Phillip Holdaway
The monument also bears a farm bell.
Credits. This page was last revised on February 10, 2021. It was originally submitted on December 17, 2011, by Michael Kindig of Long Beach, California. This page has been viewed 1,520 times since then and 47 times this year. Last updated on February 10, 2021, by Craig Baker of Sylmar, California. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on December 17, 2011, by Michael Kindig of Long Beach, California. 8. submitted on March 1, 2014, by Michael Kindig of Long Beach, California. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.