Independence in Washington County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Baylor University Campus on Windmill Hill:
The Buildings and Other Facilities
— Baylor University —
From 1848 to the late 1850s, James Huckins raised thousands of dollars nationwide for erecting buildings making up the male department campus. In 1848, Huckins designed a master plan for the permanent campus on Windmill Hill.
Three stone buildings had been constructed on three sides of a quadrangle, which Baylor sources labeled as "College Square." College Well had been dug prior to Baylor's acquisition in 1849. Graves Hall, built in 1849-1850, was located in the southwest corner. In 1859-1862, Houston Hall was built on the north end of the "quad." Tryon Hall was begun in 1860 in the northwest corner, used in an unfinished state, and finished in 1882. The trustees erected a Bell Tower between Houston and Tryon Hall in 1882. On the east side of the quadrangle was located the central street and the grave of Judge Baylor, who was laid to rest in 1873.
The residential area was located to the southeast of College Square. In 1856, President Burleson constructed a three-story cedar frame octagon building to serve as the president's residence and men's dormitory and dining hall. The Octagon Building became known as Burleson
Erected by Baylor University.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Education • Parks & Recreational Areas. A significant historical year for this entry is 1848.
Location. 30° 18.986′ N, 96° 20.717′ W. Marker is in Independence, Texas, in Washington County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Farm to Market Road 50 and Hood Hotel Road. The marker is located at the northeast section of the Baylor Park at Windmill Hill. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Brenham TX 77833, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Baylor's Survival— (here, next to this marker); Baylor University's First Years (here, next to this marker); In Recognition of the Land Donations to Baylor (here, next to this marker); Founding of Baylor University (here, next to this marker); Windmill Hill (here, next to this marker); A College Town (a few steps from this marker); Houston Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); Home Built in 1845 by General Jerome B. Robertson (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Independence.
Also see . . . Baylor University.
Baylor University owes its founding to Robert E. B. Baylor, James Huckins, and William Milton Tryon, who in 1841 organized an education society in the Texas Union Baptist Association with the purpose of establishing a Baptist university in Texas. Baylor was chartered by the Republic of Texas on February 1, 1845, and was opened in 1846 at Independence. Source: The Handbook of Texas(Submitted on February 12, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on February 13, 2021. It was originally submitted on February 12, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 115 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on February 12, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.