Independence in Washington County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
In Recognition of the Land Donations to Baylor
With appreciation to the Klatte and Wolff families
— Baylor University —
In 1927, Independence farmer Charles Klatte purchased the property on Windmill Hill which had served as campus grounds of Baylor University from 1850 to 1886. For the next 50 years, the Klatte family developed a farm, consisting of crop cultivation, raising cattle, and renting to tenant farmers.
Esther Klatte later inherited the portion of land containing the Baylor male campus. She owned the site for more years than did any other owner. Under her stewardship, the buried walls of Tryon and Houston Halls remained preserved with little damage. In 1978, she graciously leased the Windmill Hill portion of her land to Baylor University to permit a four year archaeological study of the original permanent campus.
In 1997, Esther Klatte left the land to Lillian Klatte, and in 1999 Lillian Klatte left the land to Herbert Klatte, Jr. and his sister Karen Kaye Klatte. They then gave the site of the major buildings to Baylor to be used as a historic park commemorating the Baylor location. The gift was made in memory of their aunts Esther Klatte and Lillian Klatte, and in honor of their father, Herbert Klatte, Sr. David and Mary Wolff
Baylor University recognizes this very special donation by the Klatte family and David and Mary Wolff. Baylor also recognizes the special care which Esther Klatte and Lillian Klatte exercised over the half century that they owned the campus site. It is in recognition of their loving care of this former campus that this historical park is dedicated.
Erected by Baylor University.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Education • Parks & Recreational Areas. A significant historical year for this entry is 1927.
Location. 30° 18.985′ N, 96° 20.715′ W. Marker is in Independence, Texas, in Washington County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Farm to Market Road 50 and Hood Hotel Road. The marker is located at the northeast section of the Baylor Park at Windmill Hill. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Brenham TX 77833, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Windmill Hill (here, next to this marker); Baylor University's First Years (here, next to this marker); Founding of Baylor University (here, next to this marker); Baylor University Campus on Windmill Hill: (here, Baylor's Survival— (here, next to this marker); A College Town (a few steps from this marker); Houston Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); Bell Tower (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Independence.
Also see . . . Baylor University.
Baylor University owes its founding to Robert E. B. Baylor, James Huckins, and William Milton Tryon, who in 1841 organized an education society in the Texas Union Baptist Association with the purpose of establishing a Baptist university in Texas. Baylor was chartered by the Republic of Texas on February 1, 1845, and was opened in 1846 at Independence. Source: The Handbook of Texas(Submitted on February 12, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on February 13, 2021. It was originally submitted on February 12, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 72 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on February 13, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.