Jackson in Hinds County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)
Monument to Women of the Confederacy
To the women of the Confederacy “Whose pious ministrations to our wounded soldiers soothed the last hours of those who died far from the objects of their tenderest love, whose domestic labors contributed much to supply the wants of our defenders in the field, whose zealous faith in our cause shone a guiding star undimmed by the darkest clouds of war, whose fortitude sustained them under all the privations to which they were subjected, whose floral tribute annually expresses their enduring love and reverence for our sacred dead; and whose patriotism will teach their children to emulate the deeds of our revolutionary sires.” Jefferson Davis
United Confederate Veterans Honor the Memory of the Confederate Women of Mississippi.
Devoted daughters of the heroic women and noble men, they keep the mounds of loved ones sweet with flowers and perpetuated in marble and bronze the granite characters of a soldiery that won the admiration of the world and a womanhood whose ministrations were as tender as an angels benediction.
Their smiles inspired hope; their tender hands soothed the pangs of pain; their prayers encouraged faith in god; and when the dragon of war closed its fangs of poison and death, they like guardian angels, entwined their hands in their brothers arms, encouraged them to overcome the losses of war and to conquer the evils in its wake, adopting as their motto:
“Lest We Forget”.
They loved their land because it was their own, and scorned to seek another reason why, calamity was their touchstone; and in the ordeal of fire their fragility was tempered to the strength of steel. Angels of comfort, their courage and tenderness soothed all wounds of body and of spirit more than medicines. They girded their gentle hearts with fortitude, and suffering all things, hoping all things fed the failing fires of patriotism to the end. The memory and example of their devotion shall endure.
Erected 1917 by United Confederate Veterans.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: War, US Civil • Women. In addition, it is included in the Sons of Confederate Veterans/United Confederate Veterans series list.
Location. 32° 18.195′ Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Jackson MS 39201, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Mississippi Liberty Bell (a few steps from this marker); Galloway Memorial United Methodist Church (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Galloway Memorial (about 500 feet away); U.S.S. Mississippi (about 600 feet away); Capitol Rally (about 600 feet away); Smith Park (about 800 feet away); First Presbyterian Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Jackson Municipal Library Sit-In (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Jackson.
Regarding Monument to Women of the Confederacy. The central figure is a female representing Fame, whose robes flow behind her giving the illusion of wings. On her proper left is a wounded Confederate soldier, who lies with his back against a broken cannon and grasps a flagpole in his proper left hand. He is supported and comforted by Fame. On Fame's proper right is a young Confederate woman who wears long robes and holds a palm frond in her proper right hand. Fame places a laurel wreath on the Confederate woman's head, a gesture that symbolizes victory and the strength
Also see . . . Smithsonian AmericanArt Museum. Monument to the Women of the Confederacy, (sculpture): Inspired by the 1907 United Confederate Veterans' project to erect a monument in each southern state to the women of the Confederacy, the Mississippi Legislature of 1910 passed "An act to erect a monument to the Women of the Confederacy," which created a commission charged with the selection and erection of the monument on the Capitol grounds. The cornerstone was laid by the Grand Lodge F. & A. M. of Mississippi on June 3, 1912, and the bronze sculpture was cast in 1917. The sculpture cost $20,000. IAS files contain the full text of base inscriptions, related newsclippings and a copy of the dedication booklet. (Submitted on March 4, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
Credits. This page was last revised on November 18, 2018. It was originally submitted on March 4, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 3,241 times since then and 207 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 4, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 3, 4. submitted on November 11, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.