Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Suwannee in Dixie County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Fort Duval and the Suwannee River

 
 
Fort Duval and the Suwannee River Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Tim Fillmon, July 22, 2017
1. Fort Duval and the Suwannee River Marker
Inscription.  Captain Francis Langhorne Dade, U.S. Army and his 120-man Companies A,B,D,H and N, built Fort Duval in November 1826 at the mouth of the Suwannee River. The structure was 140 by 130 feet and six feet high with portholes for firing. The fort was named for territorial governor William Pope Duval. Fort Duval was built to guard the mouth of the Suwannee River. Indians used the river for many years, traveling to Cuba, the Bahama Islands and other places to trade and purchase goods. William Bartram witnessed this in his travels in 1774 while visiting the Indians up river from its mouth. In April 1818, General Andrew Jackson used the river to transport his wounded back to St. Marks after his Battle for Billy Bowleg’s Old Town, located on the Suwannee River. Fort Duval was destroyed by May 15, 1841. At that time, Capt. Cambell Graham wrote of Lt. Palmer’s survey of the mouth of the Suwannee River in search of the remains of Fort Duval. Time and tide have destroyed all traces of Fort Duval. The Suwannee River now carries fishing enthusiasts and sportsmen.
 
Erected 2005 by Dixie County Historical Society, The
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
Suwannee River Chamber of Commerce, and the Florida Department of State. (Marker Number F-536.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Forts and CastlesWars, US IndianWaterways & Vessels. A significant historical month for this entry is November 1826.
 
Location. 29° 19.624′ N, 83° 9.023′ W. Marker is in Suwannee, Florida, in Dixie County. Marker can be reached from County Route 349 just east of Canal Street(Southeast 199th Street). To reach the marker you must turn left down a driveway just before reaching Canal Street(SE 199th Street). Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 23465 SE 349 Hwy, Suwannee FL 32692, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 7 other markers are within 16 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Jackson Trail (approx. 12.9 miles away); John Muir at Cedar Key (approx. 13.7 miles away); The Cedar Keys: Pencils, Lumber, Palm Fiber and Brushes (approx. 14.9 miles away); Atlantic to Gulf Railroad (approx. 15 miles away); Sink Trail (approx. 15.3 miles away); Waterfront Dining for Thousands of Years (approx. 15.3 miles away); Manatee Spring (approx. 15.3 miles away).
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 26, 2021. It was originally submitted on February 26, 2021, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 123 times since then and 42 times this year. Photo   1. submitted on February 26, 2021, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide view photo of the marker and the surrounding area in context. • Can you help?

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=167492

Paid Advertisements
 
 

Jul. 7, 2022