The Civilian Conservation Corps and Booker T. Washington State Park
Few men have the satisfaction of knowing they have made a contribution in their lifetime that will last through the ages and touch the lives of millions. Men of the CCC know that feeling well. The Civilian Conservation Corps was launched April 5, 1933 as a move to alleviate distress caused by unemployment through the establishment of a chain of camps where young men would work on forest and park conservation and soil erosion on farms. Under the management of army personnel, they would be paid $30 a month of which $25 was sent home. They also received housing, food, medical, and dental care as well as educational benefits. The young men of the CCC who served in this area and 76 other camps throughout Tennessee are part of the “CCC” legacy in Tennessee.
We hope these historical monuments will promote among Tennesseans and the nation an understanding and appreciation for the work the CCC did and the philosophy of conserving and natural and cultural resources.
In our nine years existence, we labored to beautify your land and we pass it into your hands. The preservation of this country will remain strong as long as
To the honor and memory of the three million members who served in the Civilian Conservation Corps, 1933-1942
In July 1935, twenty-three black enrollees were organized into an advance cadre at Fort Oglethorpe, Georgia, and sent to Counce, Tennessee forming Civilian Conservation Corps company 3459, TVA-P-11. Their work project was under joint supervision of the National Park Service and the Tennessee Valley Authority, to build a woods park near Pickwick Dam.
About 1938, company 3459 was transferred to Hamilton County to build Booker T. Washington State Park. This company became TVA-P-16 and remained here until 1940 or early 1941, when the company was either disbanded or moved to another location.
Late in 1940 or early in 1941, company 4497, Tennessee SP-5, a black junior company was sent to this site to finish Booker T. Washington State Park. Because of World War II, all CCC camps were closed and none were in existence by the end of 1942.
Erected 1990 by Tennessee National Association of Civilian Conservation Corps Alumni.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists:
Location. 35° 6.703′ N, 85° 10.641′ W. Marker is in Chattanooga, Tennessee, in Hamilton County. Marker can be reached from Champion Road, 0.1 miles south of Blue Oak Drive, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 5801 Champion Rd, Chattanooga TN 37416, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Booker Taliaferro Washington (here, next to this marker); The Life of Booker Taliaferro Washington (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Tuskegee Institute (approx. 0.2 miles away); Cast Down Your Buckets (approx. ¼ mile away); Booker T. Washington School (approx. 1.8 miles away); Harrison Academy (approx. 2.1 miles away); Sherman Crosses the River (approx. 2.4 miles away); Bonny Oaks School (approx. 2.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Chattanooga.
Also see . . .
1. Booker T. Washington (History.com). (Submitted on March 8, 2021, by Byron Hooks of Sandy Springs, Georgia.)
2. The Civilian Conservation Corps (History.com). (Submitted on March 8, 2021, by Byron Hooks of Sandy Springs, Georgia.)
Credits. This page was last revised on March 9, 2021. It was originally submitted on March 1, 2021, by Darren Jefferson Clay of Duluth, Georgia. This page has been viewed 226 times since then and 82 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 1, 2021, by Darren Jefferson Clay of Duluth, Georgia. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.