Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Bradenton in Manatee County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Curry Houses National Register Historic District / Refuge of Peace

 
 
Curry Houses National Register Historic District side of marker image. Click for more information.
Photographed By Tim Fillmon, March 10, 2021
1. Curry Houses National Register Historic District side of marker
National Register of Historic Places Registration Form:
Click for more information.
Inscription.  

CURRY HOUSES NATIONAL REGISTER HISTORIC DISTRICT
On this site, Captain John and Mary (Kemp) Curry built 22 homes after purchasing 30 acres from Dr. Franklin Branch in 1859. Their extended family of 29 moved here from Key West on a self-built ship "Ariel". Simon Bartholf, Richard Roberts, and Bahamian carpenters had arrived earlier, constructing these two houses on site. Upon Captain John's death, the two homes were inherited by a son, Samuel George Curry and his wife, Amanda (Andress) and later passed to their daughter Mary Amelia. Their youngest daughter, Theodosia Lloyd, built the house that stands across the street in 1925. She gave it to her son Phillip and his wife Theresa (Martin). Theresa lived there until the 1980's. The three houses are now museums interpreting the history of this area.

REFUGE OF PEACE
The Curry homestead, including the Manatee Mineral Springs, is ground steeped in history. Pre-Columbian mounds stood here. As a Spanish territory until 1821, Blacks seeking freedom from enslavemnt headed south into Florida. Border skirmishes and slave raids caused men, women, and children to seek safer havens
Refuge of Peace Marker side of marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Tim Fillmon, March 10, 2021
2. Refuge of Peace Marker side of marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
south of the Manatee River at Angola, a spot on Florida's Underground Railroad that has been documented by archaeological evidence. In 1821 it was destroyed in a large slave raid. Hundreds were captured but some escaped to the Bahamas or the interior of Florida. In 1864, Union Sailors came ashore and destroyed the Curry saw mill/grist mill. In August, 1864 under the leadership of Capt. John Bartholf, 40-60 soldiers of the 2nd Colored Infantry camped on this site.
 
Erected 2020 by Manatee County Historical Society and Reflections of Manatee.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African AmericansNative AmericansSettlements & SettlersWar, US Civil. A significant historical year for this entry is 1859.
 
Location. 27° 29.77′ N, 82° 32.975′ W. Marker is in Bradenton, Florida, in Manatee County. Marker is on 4th Avenue East, 0.1 miles west of 14th Street East, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1302 4th Ave East, Bradenton FL 34208, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Florida Cracker Trail (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Old Cabbage Head (about 600 feet away); The Wiggins Store (about 600 feet away); Manatee Mineral Spring (about 700 feet away); First Manatee Courthouse / Manatee Methodist Church
Curry Houses National Register Historic District / Refuge of Peace Marker and house image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Tim Fillmon, March 10, 2021
3. Curry Houses National Register Historic District / Refuge of Peace Marker and house
(about 700 feet away); The Smokehouse, Syrup Kettle and Sugar Cane Mill (about 700 feet away); The Fogarty Boat Works (about 700 feet away); Florida Naval Stores (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bradenton.
 
Also see . . .  New Historical Marker Unveiled. Reflections of Manatee website entry (Submitted on March 12, 2021, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida.) 
 
Curry Houses National Register Historic District house image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Tim Fillmon, March 10, 2021
4. Curry Houses National Register Historic District house
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 3, 2022. It was originally submitted on March 12, 2021, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 243 times since then and 47 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on March 12, 2021, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=168455

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Feb. 5, 2023