Lawrenceville in Gwinnett County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
First County Officers, commissioned in March, 1819, were: William Blake, Sheriff; James Wardlaw, Clerk Superior Court; Thomas A. Dobbs, Clerk Inferior Court; John Wynn, Corner; James C. Reed, Surveyor; James Loughridge, Tax Collector; John W. Beauchamp, Tax Receiver.
In 1849, the four corner lots on the public square were deeded to Charles H. Smith (Bill Arp), N.L. Hutchins, James P. Simmons, and T.W. Alexander, lawyers, so long as they maintained a substantial fence around the square to keep out wandering livestock. The first fence under this agreement was eight feet high with a stile on each side.
Erected 1960 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 067-4.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Agriculture • Animals • Law Enforcement • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list. A significant historical month for this entry is March 1819.
Location. 33° 57.402′ N, 83° 59.312′ W. Marker is in Lawrenceville, Georgia, in Gwinnett County. Marker is on North Clayton Street (Georgia Route 20) 0 miles north of West Crogan Street (U.S. 29), on the left when traveling north. Marker is located on the lawn of the Old Gwinnett County Courthouse. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lawrenceville GA 30045, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Button Gwinnett (here, next to this marker); Birthplace of Bill Arp (a few steps from this marker); Garrard’s Cavalry Raid (within shouting distance of this marker); Memorial to the Fallen of 1836 (within shouting distance of this marker); Watering Trough 1873 (within shouting distance of this marker); The Home of Major William E. Simmons (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); In Tribute to Ezzard Charles (about 300 feet away); Lawrenceville Female Seminary (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lawrenceville.
Regarding Gwinnett County. The Old Gwinnett County Courthouse was built in 1885. County offices were moved to a new courthouse in 1988, and in 1991-1992 the Old Courthouse was restored. It is used for a variety of functions today, including housing the Gwinnett Historical Society.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 30, 2020. It was originally submitted on March 10, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,685 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 10, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.