Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Dawson in Terrell County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Old Herod Town

 
 
Old Herod Town Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, January 24, 2010
1. Old Herod Town Marker
Inscription.  On this site stood Herod Town, one of the last Indian villages in this section to remain after the coming of the white man. According to longstanding local tradition, when General Andrew Jackson and his troops came through here on the way to Florida to subdue the Seminoles in 1818, they were joined by the Chief of this village, "Old Herod," a firm friend of the white settlers, with his warriors.
 
Erected 1958 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 135-5.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Native AmericansSettlements & SettlersWars, US Indian. In addition, it is included in the Former U.S. Presidents: #07 Andrew Jackson, and the Georgia Historical Society series lists. A significant historical year for this entry is 1818.
 
Location. 31° 41.953′ N, 84° 26.505′ W. Marker has been reported damaged. Marker is near Dawson, Georgia, in Terrell County. Marker is at the intersection of Herod Highway (Georgia Route 55 at milepost 6) and County Route 164, on the right when traveling north
Old Herod Town Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Terry L. Lambert, March 10, 2010
2. Old Herod Town Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
on Herod Highway. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Dawson GA 39842, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this location, measured as the crow flies. General Andrew Jackson (within shouting distance of this marker); Confederate Gun Shop (approx. 5.1 miles away); To The Memory of James Mathews Griggs (approx. 5.1 miles away); Terrell County (approx. 5.1 miles away); Chickasawhatchee Primitive Baptist Church (approx. 5.2 miles away); Gen. Patrick Cleburne Camp, S.C.V. (approx. 5.3 miles away); a different marker also named Confederate Gun Shop (approx. 5.6 miles away); Battleground of Echowanochaway Creek (approx. 11 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dawson.
 
Old Herod Town Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, January 24, 2010
3. Old Herod Town Marker
The marker stands near a boulder, erected by the D.A.R. in 1913 to memorialize Jackson's visit to Herod Town.
Old Herod Town Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, January 24, 2010
4. Old Herod Town Marker
Looking north on Herod Highway, Georgia Highway 55, toward Dawson
Old Herod Town Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James L.Whitman, March 23, 2021
5. Old Herod Town Marker
Old Herod Town Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James L.Whitman, March 23, 2021
6. Old Herod Town Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on March 25, 2021. It was originally submitted on January 30, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,013 times since then and 52 times this year. Last updated on March 24, 2021, by James L.Whitman of Eufaula, Alabama. Photos:   1. submitted on January 30, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.   2. submitted on September 7, 2011, by Terry L. Lambert of Brinson, Georgia.   3, 4. submitted on January 30, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.   5, 6. submitted on March 24, 2021, by James L.Whitman of Eufaula, Alabama. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=169257

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Oct. 7, 2022