Columbus in Franklin County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
The Ohio State University
The Ohio Agricultural and Mechanical College grew out of the Cannon Act of March 22, 1870. “But let it be started,” Governor Rutherford B. Hayes told the Legislature in 1873, “with the intention of making it a great State University.” The little college opened September 17, 1873 with a faculty of seven and twenty-four students. One academic building at first housed everything. The campus, remote from the city, was surrounded by some of the original forest. In May, 1878 the name was changed to The Ohio State University.
It was after 1900 before it really began to realize its educational potential, and its major growth occurred after World War II. By 1970, the Centennial Year, the university had more than met the hopes of its founders. A leading university with great manpower and physical resources, it had earned high standing in many fields covering a wide range of educational and research activities.
Erected 1970 by The Ohio State University and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 5-25.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these Agriculture • Education • Roads & Vehicles. In addition, it is included in the Former U.S. Presidents: #19 Rutherford B. Hayes, and the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection series lists. A significant historical month for this entry is March 1863.
Location. 39° 59.888′ N, 83° 0.821′ W. Marker is in Columbus, Ohio, in Franklin County. Marker is on The Ohio State University campus, near the east end of Mirror Lake, about fifty feet north of the Browning Amphitheatre. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Columbus OH 43210, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Browning Amphitheatre / The Outdoor Performance Center (within shouting distance of this marker); The Underground Railroad on University Land (within shouting distance of this marker); Ohio Farm Bureau Founded (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named The Underground Railroad on University Land (about 700 feet away); Old Ohio Union (approx. 0.2 miles away); University Hall (approx. 0.2 miles Neil Avenue Gate (approx. 0.2 miles away); a different marker also named The Underground Railroad on University Land (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Columbus.
Also see . . . The Ohio State University website. (Submitted on March 15, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Credits. This page was last revised on August 2, 2020. It was originally submitted on March 11, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 945 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 11, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.