Fort Wayne in Allen County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Emerine Jane Holman Hamilton
1810 - 1889
— Pioneer in Religion, Education, Philanthropy, Reform —
The Hamilton Estate on Clinton Street abounded in flowers, shrubs, and trees and included the homes in which granddaughters Edith, Alice, and Agnes lived.
This gardenscape is a tribute to Emerine's personal elegance and achievements. As it surrounds the plaza, it symbolizes Emerine's care and example that inspired her granddaughters.
Erected by City of Fort Wayne.
Location. 41° 5.184′ N, 85° 8.312′ W. Marker is in Fort Wayne, Indiana, in Allen County. Marker can be reached from South Clinton Street. Marker is at southeast entrance to the Hamilton Plaza in Headwaters Park, and is about 425 feet ESE of the Clinton Street Bridge over the Saint Mary's River. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 333 South Clinton Street, Fort Wayne IN 46802, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Jail Flats (here, next to this marker); These are the Hamilton Women of Fort Wayne League Park (within shouting distance of this marker); Duck Creek: Early Industry and Business Development (within shouting distance of this marker); Earliest Railroad (within shouting distance of this marker); The Wabash & Erie Canal (within shouting distance of this marker); The Floods (within shouting distance of this marker); Little Turtle (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Wayne.
Categories. • African Americans • Charity & Public Work • Civil Rights • Women •
More. Search the internet for Emerine Jane Holman Hamilton.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 25, 2018. This page originally submitted on March 12, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 2,022 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 12, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. • Christopher Busta-Peck was the editor who published this page.