Near Williamsburg in James City County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
1606 - 1907
Upper Rear Marker:
This shrine is erected by the “Colonial Dames of America in the State of Virginia” to commemorate the earliest celebration of the Holy Communion in the first permanent English settlement in America.
Lower Rear Marker:
The Brotherhood of St. Andrew
of the Protestant Episcopal Church
has conducted annual pilgrimages
to this shrine for Corporate Communion
since it’s dedication
Erected 1907 by Colonial Dames of America in the State of Virginia.
Marker series. This marker is included in the National Society of The Colonial Dames of America marker series.
Location. 37° 12.563′ N, 76° 46.767′ W. Marker is near Williamsburg, Virginia, in James City County. Marker can be reached from Colonial Parkway, on the right when traveling west. Marker is in the "Old Towne" section of the Historic Jamestown unit of Colonial National Historic Park. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Williamsburg VA 23185, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Hunt Shrine (here, next to this marker); Well (within shouting distance of this marker); Burial (within shouting distance of this marker); Confederate Earthworks (within shouting distance of this marker); James Fort Site 1607 – 1624 (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Sealing of the Magna Carta (about 300 feet away); The Site of the First Landing (about 300 feet away); In Memory of Early Settlers (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Williamsburg.
More about this marker. The upper portion of the marker contains a bas relief of Rev. Hunt giving Communion to the colonists.
Also see . . . The Reverend Robert Hunt: The First Chaplain at Jamestown. National Park Service website. (Submitted on March 14, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
Categories. • Colonial Era •
More. Search the internet for Robert Hunt.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 14, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 1,050 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on March 14, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.