Bryan in Brazos County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
The Women’s Club
Founded in October 1895 as the Mutual Improvement Circle, this organization began with twenty members. Initially gathering in individual homes, the club met as a study group to improve members' minds, serve the community, and promote the cause of women's rights. Its program for the first year was a study of Greece.
Among the club's early civic projects were the establishment of the city's Carnegie Library in 1903, downtown beautification efforts, and landscaping of the courthouse grounds. Club members planted a row of Live Oak trees along the College Avenue approach to the Texas A&M University campus.
In 1909 the name of the organization was changed to The Woman's Club. Meetings were held in the Carnegie Library building until 1929, when the first clubhouse was built. Due to increases in membership, the club met in a number of different locations before the present facility was constructed in 1972.
The white rose serves as the organization's symbol and appears on club publications and awards. The Woman's Club continues to be active in the civic affairs of Bryan and College Station.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Charity & Public Work • Parks & Recreational Areas • Women. A significant historical month for this entry is October 1895.
Location. 30° 39.61′ N, 96° 21.832′ W. Marker is in Bryan, Texas, in Brazos County. Marker is at the intersection of Carter Creek Parkway and Lee Hollow Drive, on the left when traveling north on Carter Creek Parkway. The marker is located on the right side of the front entrance of the Women’s Club on the wall. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1200 Carter Creek Parkway, Bryan TX 77802, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within one mile of this marker, measured as the crow flies. First Presbyterian Church (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); St. Joseph Catholic Church (approx. 0.9 miles away); St. Joseph School (approx. one mile away); Site of Odd Fellows University and Orphans Home (approx. one mile away); The CW&BV and I&GN Railroads in Bryan (approx. one mile away); Brazos County (approx. one mile away); Town Named for William Joel Bryan (approx. one mile away); Harvey Mitchell (approx. one mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bryan.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 6, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 6, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 164 times since then and 36 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 6, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.