Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Nacogdoches in Nacogdoches County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Angelina

 
 
Angelina Marker image. Click for full size.
By Brian Anderson, April 10, 2021
1. Angelina Marker
Inscription.  Angelina (Angelica) was a woman of the Hasinai Caddo (Tejas) nation who grew up in Monclova, Coahuila and at the Spanish Presidio San Juan Bautista south of the Rio Grande. According to European accounts, she was baptized a Catholic and learned to speak fluent Castilian Spanish. The earliest written account of Angelina came from the memoirs of the Frenchman Andre Penicaut who claimed to have met her in 1712 en route to the Presidio San Juan Bautista while accompanying French trader Louis Juchereau de St. Denis. Describing her as a "learned Indian woman," Father Isidro Felix de Espinosa mentioned her translation and diplomatic efforts when the 1716 Ramon-Espinosa expedition entered the kingdom of the Tejas west of the Neches River. Domingo Ramon noted at the time her key role at the dedication of East Texas missions. Clearly pleased to see her during his East Texas relief tour, Gov. Martin de Alarcon in 1718 persuaded the sagacious Angelina to live in the village surrounding Mission Concepcion.

In 1721, Angelina acted as the interpreter for a meeting between the Hainai Caddi, the recognized leader of all the Tejas (Hasinai) nations,
Angelina Marker image. Click for full size.
By Brian Anderson, April 10, 2021
2. Angelina Marker
Marker is the second from the right of the five markers visible in this photo.
Click or scan to see
this page online
and the Spanish governor of Texas, Marquis de San Miguel de Aguayo. This exchange solidified Caddo and Spanish cooperation against the French. Angelina was more than an interpreter; she was a diplomatic bridge between disparate worlds who facilitated mutual understanding. Her legacy lives on in the landscape of East Texas where the region honors her memory with the Angelina River, the Angelina National Forest and only county named for a woman.
 
Erected 2015 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 18268.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial EraNative Americans.
 
Location. 31° 36.104′ N, 94° 39.383′ W. Marker is in Nacogdoches, Texas, in Nacogdoches County. Marker is on South Pecan Street 0.1 miles south of East Pilar Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Nacogdoches TX 75965, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Franciscan Friars in East Texas (here, next to this marker); Governor Marquis de San Miguel de Aguayo (here, next to this marker); Governor Martin de Alarcon in East Texas (here, next to this marker); Captain Domingo Ramon (here, next to this marker); Chas. Hoya Land Office (about 400 feet away,
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
measured in a direct line); Site of First Home in Texas Owned by General Sam Houston (about 400 feet away); Gladys Hampton Building (about 400 feet away); Sam Houston's First Home in Texas (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Nacogdoches.
 
Also see . . .  Angelina (unknown–unknown) - The Handbook of Texas Online. Texas State Historical Association (THSA) (Submitted on April 12, 2021, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas.) 
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on April 12, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 12, 2021, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. This page has been viewed 34 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on April 12, 2021, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=170844

Paid Advertisement
May. 15, 2021