Near Vischer Ferry in Saratoga County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The Vischer Family
Nicholas Vischer (1705-1778) married Annetie Tymmersen in Schenectady in 1734. They settled here and built a little brick house where they raised six children. Their house, located not farfrom here, is the rear wing to a large two story Federal style addition built by their son, Eldert (1753-1821), about 1806. It is the oldest house in the Town of Clifton Park.
Eldert inherited the family homestead and he and his wife Gitty Fort had nine children. He started a ferry service about 1790, crossing the river in front of his home. A cable strung across the river guided the current-powered ferry scow across the river. The toll depended on the number of axels on the vehicle or horses making the trip.
Eldert also built and operated a gristmill near his home, the ruins of which can be found in the woods across Ferry Drive from the homestead. Tradition indicates that flour from the mill was supplied to the American troops at the Battle of Saratoga in 1777.
[Middle Photo:] Ferry scow at Vischer Ferry, c. 1905
This typical rope ferry was guided across the Mohawk River by a cable. The cable is visible
[Bottom Left Photo:] Vischer’s Mill, Ferry Drive, Vischer Ferry ca. 1900
The original mill at this location was established by Eldert Vischer by the time of the American Revolution. The mill pictured here was probably the third Vischer mill located at this site, across the road from the Vischer homestead. It was taken down about 1950, it the foundation and mill stones are still visible.
[Bottom Right Photo:] Federal ca. 1806 section of the Vischer Homestead photographed about 1905 with the sluice-way to the Vischer Mill in the foreground.
The rear wing of this home was the original home built by Nicholas Vischer in about 1740.
Erected by Town of Clifton Park, Mohawk Towpath Byway.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial Era • Waterways & Vessels. A significant historical year for this entry is 1734.
Location. 42° 47.663′ N, 73° 49.877′ W. Marker is near Vischer Ferry, New York, in Saratoga County. Marker is on Ferry Drive, 0.1 miles south of Riverview Road, on the right when traveling south. At parking Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Rexford NY 12148, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Hamlet of Vischer Ferry (here, next to this marker); Ferry (here, next to this marker); The Vischer Ferry Bridge (here, next to this marker); Vischer Ferry Historic District (approx. 0.2 miles away); Amity Reformed Church (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Ferry Road Bridge & Its Surroundings… A Brief History (approx. half a mile away); Vischer Ferry (approx. 0.6 miles away); Lock 19 (approx. 0.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Vischer Ferry.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 24, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 21, 2021, by Steve Stoessel of Niskayuna, New York. This page has been viewed 175 times since then and 65 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 21, 2021, by Steve Stoessel of Niskayuna, New York. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.