Brenham in Washington County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
— Lone Star Legacy Park —
A heated exchange between Union soldiers and local citizens in September 1866 led to the eventual development of the City of Brenham's flagship park. The soldiers, part of an infantry company, took issue with comments made in the local newspaper and set the town on fire not once, but twice. And so was born the Brenham Fire Department organized under the pretense of protecting the community from fire, but in reality as a way to defend it from the Union soldiers. The department's history, has been intertwined with that of the City since. It was through the firemen's generosity that Fireman's Park was founded. In November 1883, the Mechanics Engine Company No. 1 and the Hook and Ladder Company No.1, purchased 14 acres of land from Pocahontas Higgins through his guardian, David B. Williams. Together, these two companies paid $80 per acre for a total of $1,120. The tract of land was named Fireman's Park, a name it still holds today. It was deeded to the Brenham Fire Department in 1884 and eventually deeded to the City in 1917.
Fireman's Park has been home to the annual
A 16-sided building was constructed to house the Flying Horses Carousel, in 1932. That building, along with the original kitchen, American Legion Hall, beer garden and a small hut were part of a Works Progress Administration project. The carousel building received a new roof as part of a renovation of the park and a new kitchen was built as well, but the American Legion Hall and hut remain as they were originally constructed.
Fireman's Park has always enjoyed strong community support. The Flying Horses Carousel was maintained for a number of
1st Little League - 1950
Renovated Carousel Building
Finke Pavilion and Kitchen, 2007
Erected 2014 by Texas Recreation and Park Society.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Parks & Recreational Areas • War, US Civil. A significant historical month for this entry is September 1866.
Location. 30° 10.394′ N, 96° 24.042′ W. Marker is in Brenham, Texas, in Washington County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of North Park Street and Davis Street. The marker is located west of the the pavilion in the Fireman's Park. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 901 North Park Street, Brenham TX 77833, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Brenham Maifest (within shouting distance of this marker); Lest They Be Forgotten (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); First Methodist Church (approx. ¼ mile away); B'Nai Abraham Synagogue (approx. 0.3 miles away); First Baptist Church (approx. 0.3 miles away); First Christian Church of Brenham (approx. 0.4 miles away); Washington County, C.S.A. (approx. 0.4 miles away); Washington County Courthouse (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Brenham.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 24, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 23, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 40 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 23, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.