Columbus in Franklin County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Second Baptist Church / James P. Poindexter
Historic Underground Railroad Site
Second Baptist Church - Columbus' Oldest Black Baptist Church, 1836
Second Baptist Church cordially received its independence as a mission church from the First Baptist Church on January 7, 1836. Rev. Ezekiel Fields was chosen as pastor from 1836-1839. Formal Articles of Inc. were granted on March 12, 1844 by the 42nd General Assembly of the State of Ohio. Early church locations were 69 Mulberry, 105 E. Gay Street, and 90 E. Rich Street. In 1843, the Palladium of Liberty Newspaper began through meetings at the church. The Ohio Black Laws meant loss of livelihood causing many members to actively participate in the covert operations of the Underground Railroad. The Anti-Slavery Baptist Church in 1847 was led by Rev. James P. Poindexter, along with Rev. Isaiah Redman and member John T. Ward until the two churches merged again in 1858.
James P. Poindexter Leads the Anti-Slavery Baptist Church
James Preston Poindexter (1819-1907) became pastor of Second Baptist Church in 1858 after Second Baptist and the Anti-Slavery church merged. He joined the Underground
Erected by Friends of Freedom Society and Ohio Underground Railroad Association.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Abolition & Underground RR • African Americans • Churches & Religion • Civil Rights • Education. In addition, it is included in the Historically Black Colleges and Universities series list.
Location. 39° 58.134′ N, 82° 58.619′ W. Marker is in Columbus, Ohio, in Franklin County. Marker is on 17th Street, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 186 N 17th Street, Columbus OH 43203, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At The Lincoln Theatre (approx. ¼ mile away); Mount Vernon Avenue (approx. 0.3 miles away); St. Clair Hospital (approx. 0.3 miles away); Shiloh Baptist Church (approx. 0.3 miles away); King Lincoln District Arch (approx. 0.4 miles away); St. Paul African Methodist Episcopal Church (approx. 0.4 miles away); Donn Vickers Gazebo in Thurber Park (approx. half a mile away); James Thurber (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Columbus.
Also see . . . Second Baptist Church Columbus website. (Submitted on March 21, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Credits. This page was last revised on December 2, 2019. It was originally submitted on March 18, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 2,932 times since then and 23 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on March 18, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.