The J.B. Ley House
A circular pavilion distinguishes the front porch added early in the 20th century which dominates this comfortable 1870s Italianate dwelling with a bracketed cornice and shouldered window surrounds.
Presumably the first residence on the block, it was built for James Bennett Ley and his family. A Lieutenant and Artillery Gunnery Sergeant at Manassas, he moved to Danville from Lynchburg, where he had learned his life's work as stone mason and contractor. In Danville, his projects included street paving and curbing, an early municipal jail, and stonework for the Riverside Cotton Mills.
His son, James M Ley continued to live with in the family home late into the 1930s, long after his father's death in 1907.
Erected by Danville Historical Society.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Industry & Commerce • Roads & Vehicles • War, US Civil. A significant historical year for this entry is 1907.
Location. 36° 34.814′ N, 79° 23.865′ W. Marker is in Danville, Virginia. Marker is on Green Street
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Fox-Hawkins House (within shouting distance of this marker); The John Lee House (within shouting distance of this marker); The John T. Watson, Jr. House (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Caswell County, NC (about 700 feet away); Halifax County, VA (about 700 feet away); Sutherlin Mansion (about 700 feet away); Pittsylvania County (about 700 feet away); Danville Attractions (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Danville.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 26, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 26, 2021, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 22 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 26, 2021, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.