Schmidt Blacksmith Shop (1768)
— Old Salem Museums & Gardens —
A blacksmith shop and house were built here on Lot 47 in 1768. Though other houses built in Salem at this time were half-timbered structures, this one was built of logs, which were eventually covered with clapboards. The house as one-and-a-half stories tall with a central chimney.
George Schmidt (1719-1791) was born in Germany and lived in the Moravian Pennsylvania settlements before moving to Wachovia in 1754. He established Bethabara's first blacksmith shop in 1755. In 1771, he and his family moved to Salem, where he operated the blacksmith's shop until 1788. That year, in failing health, Schmidt sold the shop and house to Samuel Schultz and, as a widower, moved to the Single Brother's House. Schultz continued the blacksmith's shop here until the 1820s. By the 1870s, the building was being used as a grocery store and flower shop.
Today, Old Salem interpreters continue to practice the art of smithing at the forge located in the Timothy Vogler Gunsmith Shop.
Erected by Old Salem Museums & Gardens.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Anthropology & Archaeology
Location. 36° 5.417′ N, 80° 14.564′ W. Marker is in Winston-Salem, North Carolina, in Forsyth County. Marker is on South Main Street 0.1 miles south of Old Salem Road, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 428 S Main St, Winston Salem NC 27101, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Salem Concert Hall (a few steps from this marker); Pottery Kilns on Lot 38 (within shouting distance of this marker); The Mickey Coffee Pot (within shouting distance of this marker); The Plank Road Comes to Salem (within shouting distance of this marker); Builders' House (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Boulders' House Lighting Project (about 400 feet away); Second House Site (1767) (about 500 feet away); Herbst Shop on Lot 33 (1829) (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Winston-Salem.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 28, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 28, 2021, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 29 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 28, 2021, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A better closeup shot of the complete marker. • A better wide shot of the marker in context. • Can you help?