Oklahoma City in Oklahoma County, Oklahoma — The American South (West South Central)
The Peggy and Charles Stephenson Oklahoma Cancer Center
Charles Stephenson, a 1959 OU petroleum engineering graduate, retired as chairman of the board, president and CEO of Vintage Petroleum Inc., which was sold in 2006 to Occidental. Peggy Stephenson is executive director of the Stephenson Family Foundation, which supports many community programs. In philanthropy, parenting, and life, they are longtime partners, having grown up in the southeastern Oklahoma community of Antlers. Both are recipients of honorary degrees of Doctor of Humane Letters from OU. Their gift for the Cancer Center is the largest in the history of the OU Health Sciences Center and it helped create a partnership which is the largest public-private biosciences initiative in Oklahoma
A major focal point of the facility is the "healing garden," a beautiful outdoor space 30 feet, below street level with flowers, fountains, a water wall and picnic tables. Families and friends waiting for patients will be able to wait in the garden, the café and game rooms. The leadership of the Center has worked to utilize best practices form around the country to create patient-centered medical services. Exam rooms have a non-institutional feeling with warm colors and original works of art on the walls.
Nourishing hot food is available in the café. Original works of art, beautiful surroundings - including rocking chairs - enhance waiting areas. Recreation rooms for those of all ages and a quiet meditation room are provided. A variety of special amenities are also provided to patients. The high standard of medical treatment and the comfortable and healing environment at the Peggy and Charles Stephenson Oklahoma Cancer Center make the Center a model for others to follow.
Erected by The University of Oklahoma.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Charity & Public WorkEducation • Parks & Recreational Areas • Science & Medicine. A significant historical year for this entry is 1959.
Location. 35° 28.675′ N, 97° 29.898′ W. Marker is in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, in Oklahoma County. Marker is on Northeast 10th Street east of North Phillips Avenue, on the right when traveling east. Marker is in front of the OU Health Stephenson Cancer Center, which is on the campus of the University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 800 NE 10th St, Oklahoma City OK 73104, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Lloyd E. Rader Park (within shouting distance of this marker); Payne Boomer Campsite (about 800 feet away, measured in a direct line); Service Center Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); OU Health Sciences Center (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Robert M. Bird Library and OU Graduate College (approx. 0.3 miles away); Stanton L. Young Walk (approx. 0.3 miles away); OU College of Nursing (approx. 0.3 miles away); OU College of Pharmacy (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Oklahoma City.
Also see . . . Stephenson Cancer Center. Official website (Submitted on April 30, 2021, by Jason Voigt of Glen Carbon, Illinois.)
Credits. This page was last revised on April 30, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 30, 2021, by Jason Voigt of Glen Carbon, Illinois. This page has been viewed 46 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 30, 2021, by Jason Voigt of Glen Carbon, Illinois.