Oklahoma City in Oklahoma County, Oklahoma — The American South (West South Central)
OU College of Nursing
Nursing education began at the University of Oklahoma in 1911 with the creation of a two-year Training School for Nurses. Located in the State University Hospital on Fourth Street in Oklahoma City, the school was under the administration of the College of Medicine, with hospital nursing superintendent Annette B. Cowles serving as director.
In 1913, the program graduated its first class. That same year, it became a three-year program leading to the certificate of graduate nurse. In 1915, the school was moved into a large former residence on N.E. Fourth Street and, in 1921, moved into a newly constructed three-story dormitory and classroom facility adjacent to the then University Hospital. In the 1929-30 university catalog, the program was listed for the first time as "the School of Nursing."
During World War II, the University School of Nursing participated in the Cadet Nurse Corps program, which greatly increased enrollment.
A new building for the school was
Nursing remained a part of the College of Medicine until 1951, when it was transferred to the College of Arts and Sciences and became a baccalaureate program. The first two African American students were accepted into the school that year and, under the explicit edict of OU President George L. Cross, took up residence in the nurses' dormitory "without discrimination."
In 1955, the first baccalaureate degrees in nursing were awarded, and a graduate program was implemented in 1973.
The decade of the 1970s saw tremendous growth in students and faculty at a time when the college was without a permanent facility. The building that had housed the program since 1947 was demolished in 1970 to make way for the Basic Sciences Education Building. First the college was housed in two former residences on 14th Street and a church on Kelley Avenue, then it shared an interim facility on 12th Street.
The present building
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • Civil Rights • Education • Science & Medicine. A significant historical year for this entry is 1911.
Location. 35° 28.735′ N, 97° 29.578′ W. Marker is in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, in Oklahoma County. Marker is on North Stonewall Avenue north of NE 10th Street, on the right when traveling north. Marker is on the campus of the University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1106 N Stonewall Ave, Oklahoma City OK 73117, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. David L. Boren Student Union (within shouting distance of this marker); OU Health Sciences Center (within shouting distance of this marker); OU College of Pharmacy (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Robert M. Bird Library and OU Graduate College (about 300 feet away); Stanton L. Young Walk (about 400 feet away); The Peggy and Charles Stephenson Oklahoma Cancer Center (approx. 0.3 miles away); Lloyd E. Rader Park (approx. 0.3 miles away); Payne Boomer Campsite (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Oklahoma City.
Also see . . . OU College of Nursing. Official website (Submitted on May 2, 2021, by Jason Voigt of Glen Carbon, Illinois.)
Credits. This page was last revised on May 2, 2021. It was originally submitted on May 2, 2021, by Jason Voigt of Glen Carbon, Illinois. This page has been viewed 70 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 2, 2021, by Jason Voigt of Glen Carbon, Illinois.