Oklahoma City in Oklahoma County, Oklahoma — The American South (West South Central)
OU College of Public Health
The college traces its origins to a school of public health that existed on the Norman campus from 1949 to 1953. With the termination of that program, a Department of Preventative Medicine and Public Health, chaired by William Schottstaedt, M.D., was established in the College of Medicine.
As the field of public health evolved, the need for a program dedicated exclusively to training public health practitioners was recognized. In 1965, the Oklahoma State Regents for Higher Education recommended the establishment of a school of public health, with the Department of Preventative Medicine and Public Health given responsibility for its organization.
In 1967, the School of Health was launched, with Dr. Schottstaedt as dean and former family residences on 15th Street housing the new school. Very quickly, the new school began accepting students and submitting grants. By 1969, it had received full accreditation.
A total of 122 students were enrolled when the school was officially renamed the College of
In response to funding issues, the College of Health was merged with the College of Allied Health in 1973. Enrollment in the consolidated college's public health division continued to grow throughout the 1970s, and successful research programs were established.
In 1981, Public Health and Allied Health once again became separate colleges, with the College of Public Health encompassing the departments of Biostatistics and Epidemiology, Health Administration and Policy, Health Promotion Sciences, and Occupational and Environmental Health. The college has earned national recognition for research of public health issues affecting Native Americans.
The College of Health Building has served the colleges of Allied Health and Public Health since 1978. The building was erected in 1928 to house the College of Medicine.
Erected by the University of Oklahoma.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Education • Native Americans • Science & Medicine. A significant historical year for this entry is 1949.
Location. 35° 28.982′ N, 97° 29.927′ W. Marker is in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, in Oklahoma County. Marker is on North Phillips Avenue north of NE 13th Street, on the right when traveling north. Marker is at the west entrance of Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 801 NE 13th St, Oklahoma City OK 73104, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. OU College of Allied Health (here, next to this marker); Payne Boomer Campsite (approx. ¼ mile away); Service Center Building (approx. ¼ mile away); Lloyd E. Rader Park (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Peggy and Charles Stephenson Oklahoma Cancer Center (approx. 0.4 miles away); Stanton L. Young Walk (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Robert M. Bird Library and OU Graduate College (approx. 0.4 miles away); OU College of Pharmacy (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Oklahoma City.
Credits. This page was last revised on May 2, 2021. It was originally submitted on May 2, 2021, by Jason Voigt of Glen Carbon, Illinois. This page has been viewed 36 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 2, 2021, by Jason Voigt of Glen Carbon, Illinois.