Cumberland Township in Adams County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
5th New Jersey Volunteers
3rd Brigade, 2nd Division
— 3rd Corps —
Col. William J. Sewell
3d Brig. [Burling's]
2d Div - 3d Corps
July 2, 1863
Erected by the State of New Jersey 1888
skirmish line 400 yds. to the
front and left of this spot,
and afterwards took position
in the line of battle here.
Wounded 60, Missing 16,
Total 94, being one half
the number engaged.
7th Reg. N.J.V. Nov. 6, 1864.
Engaged in 32 battles.
Erected 1888 by State of New Jersey.
Topics. This memorial is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. A significant historical date for this entry is July 2, 1863.
Location. 39° 48.446′ N, 77° 14.71′ W. Marker is in Cumberland Township, Pennsylvania, in Adams County. Memorial is on Emmitsburg Road (Business U.S. 15), on the right when traveling south. Located near the Klingle House in Gettysburg National Military Park. Touch for map. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Batteries F & K, Third U.S. Artillery (within shouting distance of this marker); 16th Massachusetts Volunteers (within shouting distance of this marker); Second Division (within shouting distance of this marker); First Brigade (within shouting distance of this marker); 3rd Brigade (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Wisconsin Sharpshooters (about 300 feet away); 11th Massachusetts Infantry (about 400 feet away); 12th New Hampshire Volunteers (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cumberland Township.
Also see . . . 5th New Jersey Volunteers Monument. SIRIS entry for the monument. (Submitted on March 25, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
Credits. This page was last revised on December 2, 2020. It was originally submitted on March 25, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,124 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9. submitted on March 25, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.