History on the Hills Interpretive Center
The large wooded hill in front of you is a terminal moraine. It was created by a mile-thick glacier that covered Ohio more than 19,000 years ago.
The Interpretive Center was one of the original buildings at Carillon Park. It now shares stories about the history of the surrounding land, including its geological history, its use by the prehistoric Hopewell people, and as the location of Dayton's Quarantine Hospital for smallpox victims.
The Interpretive Center is also the starting point for the trail system that winds throughout the moraine and offers beautiful views of downtown Dayton and the surrounding area.
Built in 1949 in Carillon Historical Park.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Education • Parks & Recreational Areas • Science & Medicine. A significant historical year for this entry is 1949.
Location. 39° 43.668′ N, 84° 12.002′ W. Marker is in Dayton, Ohio, in Montgomery County. Marker is on Carillon Boulevard 0.2 miles west of South Patterson Boulevard, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1000 Carillon Blvd, Dayton OH 45409, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers
Credits. This page was last revised on May 23, 2021. It was originally submitted on May 23, 2021, by TeamOHE of Wauseon, Ohio. This page has been viewed 41 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 23, 2021, by TeamOHE of Wauseon, Ohio. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.