The Appalachian Club
The 1920s were a time of transition for Elkmont, as the lumbering era closed and the resort era boomed. In 1934, Great Smoky Mountains National Park was established and many families retained their cabins under lifetime leases, the last of which expired in 2001. With input from the public and in cooperation with local, federal,
Erected by National Park Service, United States Department of the Interior.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Environment • Industry & Commerce • Parks & Recreational Areas. A significant historical year for this entry is 1910.
Location. 35° 39.243′ N, 83° 34.899′ W. Marker is near Gatlinburg, Tennessee, in Sevier County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Jakes Creek Road B and Little River Road. Marker is mounted on the east side of the Appalachian Clubhouse building. Access to Jakes Creek Road B and Little River Road is via Elkmont Road, about 4½ miles west of the Great Smoky Mountains National Park Sugarlands Visitor Center. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Gatlinburg TN 37738, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Quite a Social Place (here, next to this marker); Appalachian Clubhouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Daisy Town's Eclectic Architecture (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Elkmont Historic District: Appalachian ClubBack to Nature (about 500 feet away); Rare Mountain Forest (about 600 feet away); Spence Cabin (approx. 0.2 miles away); Wonderland Hotel (approx. ¾ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Gatlinburg.
Regarding The Appalachian Club. The Appalachian Clubhouse is a contributing property in the Elkmont Historic District, National Register of Historic Places #94000166.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Elkmont Historic District
Also see . . .
1. Elkmont History. In 1910, the Little River Lumber Co. deeded a tract of 50 acres of land to the existing Appalachian Club on which the group erected a clubhouse. Founded in 1907, the Appalachian Club was a hunting and fishing club of which many of the Knoxville weekenders were members. The lumber company accorded the club a 10-year lease of exclusive hunting and fishing privileges to the Appalachian Club covering some 40,000 acres on the headwaters on the Little River above Elkmont. (Submitted on May 27, 2021, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. What Happened to Elkmont’s Residents?. (Submitted on May 27, 2021, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on May 27, 2021. It was originally submitted on May 26, 2021, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 50 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on May 27, 2021, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.