Near Nordheim in DeWitt County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Sociedad Cementerio Union Mexicana Cemetery
Situated along Cabeza Creek, the Sociedad Cementerio Union Mexicana Cemetery, also known as Saint Ann Cemetery, is the final resting place for the Mexican American population of Nordheim, this area was patented to Robert Galletty in 1841 and later sold to H. Runge & Co. and Vachel Weldon. In the late 1890s, German settlers bought property and began to farm the land. Many Hispanic sharecroppers began working for the farm and ranch owners and therefore, needed a cemetery for burials. Due to segregation, acreage was purchased in 1906 for the Mexican American and African American population. The transfer of ownership was witnessed by two founding members of the cemetery, F.A. Hernandez and Telesporo Garza. According to ledgers, the cemetery was established on February 13, 1907.
The cemetery contains more than 500 burials. The first burial is that of Rafael Hinojosa on July 2, 1907. Rafael is listed as one of the original thirty members of the cemetery society. A number of early burials are infants and children who died from flu epidemics and lack of medical attention. Numerous burials are attributed to an F-4 tornado that swept
Historic Texas Cemetery 2004
Marker is Property of the State of Texas
Erected 2004 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 17526.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Disasters • Hispanic Americans. A significant historical date for this entry is February 13, 1907.
Location. 28° 56.118′ N, 97° 37.755′ W. Marker is near Nordheim, Texas, in DeWitt County. Marker is at the intersection of Schuenemann Road (County Highway 379) and Cabeza Road (County Highway 324), on the left when traveling south on Schuenemann Road. The marker is located to the left of the main entrance to the Cemetery. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Nordheim TX 78141, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Nordheim Shooting Club (approx. 0.9 miles away); Jubilee Park PavilionPilot Knob (approx. 1.8 miles away); Runge, Texas (approx. 6.2 miles away); Veterans of Foreign Wars Memorial (approx. 6.2 miles away); Runge Bandstand (approx. 6.2 miles away); 2nd. Lt. Adolph Strieber (approx. 7.6 miles away); C. Eckhardt & Sons Building (approx. 8.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Nordheim.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 3, 2021. It was originally submitted on June 3, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 27 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 3, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.