Runge in Karnes County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Early Texas town. Near site where old ox-cart road from San Antonio to Indianola crossed the Ojo de Agua (Spanish name meaning "Eye of Water" or Spring) Creek. Here pioneer travelers found essentials of water, wood, and grass. Numerous Indian artifacts found nearby indicate that Karankawas, Tonkawas, Apaches, and Comanches camped or hunted in vicinity.
First Anglo-American settlement here. In early 1850's, was named Sulphur Spring; in the late 1850's and 1860's the place was called Mineral Spring. In 1886 a group of Cuero merchants known as H. Runge and Company bought a large tract of land on which they platted the townsite of Runge. The San Antonio & Aransas Pass Railroad, called the "SAP", extended its line from Kenedy toward Houston and built a depot, a switch, and stockpens at Runge. The first post office was established here September 20, 1887.
By 1890 Runge had grown to be the largest town in Karnes County. The public schools were organized in 1891 and Runge citizens engaged in many typical pioneer social and civic activities, including weekly band concerts held in the town square.
The economy of
Sponsored by the Runge Lions Club and the Reader family
Erected 1969 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 4389.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Native Americans • Parks & Recreational Areas • Railroads & Streetcars • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical date for this entry is September 20, 1887.
Location. 28° 53.159′ N, 97° 42.826′ W. Marker is in Runge, Texas, in Karnes County. Marker is at the intersection of Helena Street (Farm to Market Road 81) and West Guadalupe Street, on the right when traveling south on Helena Street. The marker is located in the eastern section of the City Park near the street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Runge TX 78151, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Veterans of Foreign Wars Memorial (a few steps from this marker); Runge Bandstand (within shouting distance of this marker); Sociedad Cementerio Union Mexicana Cemetery (approx. 6.2 miles away); Nordheim Shooting Club (approx. 6˝ miles away); Jubilee Park Pavilion (approx. 6.6 miles away); Pilot Knob (approx. 6.7 miles Old Helena Courthouse (approx. 7.8 miles away); Thomas Ruckman (approx. 7.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Runge.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 3, 2021. It was originally submitted on June 3, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 44 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 3, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.