Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Jekyll Island in Glynn County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

The Boat House Site

 
 
The Boat House Site Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, March 18, 2009
1. The Boat House Site Marker
Inscription.  

This is the site of the Jekyll Island Club Boat House where the 100 foot steamer The Jekyll Island was stored during the off season. (The Club season was usually from after New Years until before Easter).

There was no Jekyll Creek bridge (dedicated 1954), no Sidney Lanier bridge (opened 1956) in the Jekyll Island Club Era. Many Club members entrained to Brunswick on their plush private railroad cars. There they were met at the wharf by the steamer The Jekyll Island; The Hattie; The Sybil (45 foot Naphtha Launch named for Sybil Brewster); The Kitty (named for Kitty Lawrence, niece of Charles Lanier, a President of The Club). These launches were used as pleasure craft at the convenience of the Club members for fishing, excursions, and to bring supplies and mail from Brunswick.

Other members arrived by yacht at the dock or, if the craft was too large for the shallow water there, anchored in the channel and were brought to shore by smaller craft. James A. Clark was Captain of Boats and summer manager of the Jekyll Island Club for over forty years.
 
Erected
The Boat House Site Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, March 18, 2009
2. The Boat House Site Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
1958 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 063-31.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Bridges & ViaductsParks & Recreational AreasRailroads & StreetcarsWaterways & Vessels. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list.
 
Location. 31° 3.141′ N, 81° 25.298′ W. Marker is in Jekyll Island, Georgia, in Glynn County. Marker is on Riverview Drive, on the right when traveling south. south of Stable Rd. intersection. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Jekyll Island GA 31527, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Jekyll Island Boat House Site, Shipshape for the Season (a few steps from this marker); M.E. Thompson and the Purchase of Jekyll Island (approx. 0.2 miles away); Enigma of the Island (approx. 0.2 miles away); All Work and No Play (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Infirmary / Furness Cottage (approx. 0.3 miles away); First Transcontinental Call (approx. 0.4 miles away); Morgan Tennis Court (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Sans Souci (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Jekyll Island.
 
The Boat House Capstan Winch image. Click for full size.
By Cosmos Mariner, March 12, 2014
3. The Boat House Capstan Winch
The original boat house capstan winch is visible in the left background, a few yards from the Boat House Site marker.
The Boat House Site Concrete piers visible today image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, March 18, 2009
4. The Boat House Site Concrete piers visible today
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 20, 2020. It was originally submitted on March 30, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 700 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on March 30, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.   3. submitted on March 30, 2014, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.   4. submitted on March 30, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=17462

Paid Advertisement
May. 8, 2021